Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, March 11, 2010

March 11, 2010


           This is 10-in-One, a vitamin supplement from one of my clients, a callout. He says the formula originates with a religious group, retailing for some $38 a bottle. It is getting mention here because it works for me. I’ll explain. The label makes a few extravagant claims but it is an energizer. I’m not one to be fooled by a placebo and over the years I’ve tried other formulas.
           All I’m saying is this one has a definite day-long effect on my system and, most importantly, has no side effects. Thus, it is not some kind of stimulant that wears off and leaves you with the blahs. It is from a Nevada company called GBG. The lousy picture is from my scanner, but you can make out the list of selling points. Theresa is wary that it contains 150% of the RDA of niacin, but I believe niacin is water soluble, so you cannot take too much. Your system would just flush it out.

           And it is good I had the callout, as there was only a half-day of work at the shoe place. All is not lost, because as I predicted, the Russian guy cannot possibly make a go of it on what he can expect to be paid there. Plus, the owner is finding out that for all the things I can’t do, I am not that easy a worker to replace. Not only have I repaired strange shoe devices he thought would never work again, where else is he going to find a gringo who can answer the phone in Spanish? Still, it is a heads-up for me that Alfredo needs and wants someone full time to take over the business, and that someone is not me.
           An hour on the Internet tells me there is no job (in the classic mold) that is right for me in this state. I slid my chair back to reflect that, except for the Win98 guy who would really have been sunk if I didn’t respond, I have not taken on any real new clients for over a year. Today I fixed a printer in the field, something you simply cannot find anyone to do any more, not in this town. I also found a couple places looking for content writers that had the ring of authenticity. Check back for developments.

           In all my spare time, ha-ha, I’ve narrowed a list of 32 songs which I know I could sing if I have to. And unless business returns to average by this time next week, I have to. I’ve got the rent, but Theresa is not quite back on her feet yet. And the flyer adventure has not moved. Trust me, I know how difficult it is to get things done at the end of a work day. There is no time left for blogs and song lists. Well, you know what I mean.
           I’ve put together extra copies of the 5-oh-5 jam and Jimbos last November. It is a must-view for any guitarist I take on, I will no longer tolerate any domineering by prima donnas. Taking stock of the entire ten years I’ve been in Florida, I have learned some 78 guitar tunes (some of which got played exactly once) to guitarists learning zero of mine (if I don’t count those tunes they already knew and only played because it padded their own song list).
           Something is wrong with that balance even if one is a supreme fan of guitar music. The DVD shows the guitar class playing a dozen tunes we had never rehearsed, led mainly by my bass playing. The purpose is to impress upon any potential guitarist that I know exactly what is expected when they join my working band. A lot of newcomers don’t grasp once they show up to play my gigs, the hard work has already been done for them. You want to swap song lists, do so with your mother.

           What’s more, I got out the old Fender flat-top and played my own accompaniment to the music. Every last chop works fine; there is no need to record-copy the guitar parts. Again, I don’t have the time or patience for another guitarist who wants to play studio style note for note. I only want somebody who can, like I do on electric bass, capture the essence of a tune without a lot of complication. And I am a past master at this technique. It isn’t original bass, but it works right because the presentation is right.
           My performance stresses the dance-ability and sing-a-long participation, never playing “at” the audience. Yes, I choose tunes with distinctive bass lines and often intentionally outplay (but never overplay) most guitarists who try to lead solo/shred at the expense of the rhythm. Back when I had a four-piece group, I used to train the others to look at me instead of at the guitarist if he started picking instead of strumming. But that is a secret.

           [Author's note: GBG is a scam, I am merely saying ithey produce a product that works for me. However, GBG chose to market via a pyramid scheme, a sad mistake made by many religous groups. It is doubly disgusting how these same people will deny that MLM is a scheme to defraud the poorest in society--those without the capital to begin a real business. These schemes are like real estate, the top 5% always make good money. Included below are some graphics from their web page. It is bad enough listening to these people preach, but when they also want to sell you vitamins, argh!]




+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++