Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, March 12, 2010

March 12, 2010

           Make that two Brother printers I’ve fixed in two days, I have nothing much positive to say about that company. Their model 465CN has two setup applications, it takes the better part of an hour for a tech (me) to figure out it is the one listed as the language called "USA". "Pardon me, sir, do you speak USA?" Inconsideration and stupidity are a deadly combination, the only good news is the national birthrate has been declining since 1965.
           By incredible good luck, I got a MagicJack tech on the line who knew what he was doing. I was on a callout, it was a rare situation where the self-installing MagicJack [phone plug] managed to create a phantom drive letter it could not access. One day soon I’ll be taking a close look at exactly how that device operates. It has been raining steadily since dawn, so I was in the Barn bookstore for half the day.
           Here's a little more info on MagicJack. This is the only product that PC Magazine ever took back their award. The reason was that MagicJack displayed ads and was impossible to uninstall without changing your system registry, and everybody knows that only printer companies and MicroSoft should get away with that shit. Also, MagicJack tried to sue other companies for giving it a bad review, but the courts said get lost. According to Wiki, the device is named after two dogs.
           If this was six months from now, I’d have a steady part-time job. Remember those rubber paving bricks? The owners have decided it is cheaper to relocate the extruding machine nearby than to begin shipping the product from Tampa. The bricks are not durable enough for runways, as I had once speculated. Also, they are not resistant to petroleum, which rules out driveways as well. The new brochures show patios and playgrounds. I just want one for a paperweight and don’t understand why they are in such short supply.
           The computer work took three hours, by which time I began to recognize all the old symptoms of my old job. The work is “light” by physical standards, but punishing in mental exertion. I don’t suspect everyone will understand that. I had typed close to 24 pages of dialog with the MagicJack chat room tech (I wish I’d saved it, since it revealed a lot about the state of things that it still takes two people who don’t make many mistakes over an hour to solve the problem. Modern age, my eye.)
           I am ten weeks behind on my music project. Six of it is from having to pay extra rent in February—I was supposed to have that Zoom drum box by now. No doubt some of the guitarists I was to audition have moved on. Well, I had to make a decision because there is no way I can afford this place by myself this year. I should mention the alternator on the Taurus is starting to flicker, the car is giving up the ghost. I cannot think of helping anybody out this month, everybody will have to pull their own weight.
           Bookstores mean trivia, and here’s a statistic. Did you know that more people in America are born on October 5 than any other day of the year? This typifies the type of critical information gathered by the expensive census process. Maybe they should team up with Brother printers and figure out how many of those people can speak "USA".
           It is now late afternoon and the rain continues. I watched Avatar again, it is geared a little low with that Apache-Navajo crap that was never quite true in the first place. Native American Indians were exceedingly cruel and superstitious by any standard, so the whole nature worship allusion is a little hard to swallow. If you are telling a story, tell it all.
           Now my Missed Connections Department. Blonde lady in the brown hippy dress, yes I saw you. Looking at me and twirling your hair. And swinging your leg across your knee. But seriously, if you want to meet up, lose the cell phone, the kid and the self-help books. They send the wrong message. Even if they are the facts of your life, you should have learned by now what they are telegraphing about your priorities. My oath, if I was addicted to daytime TV and escape literature, it would be my darkest secret.
           What? Oh, that's easy. If you do that kind of thing more than twice in your life, you are addicted.