Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, March 28, 2010

March 28, 2010

           This is the drip bucket up at the bookstore. The ceiling was leaking and it also kept the drips away from the business management section. A little attempt at humor there, gang. I was at Borders today after a reasonably successful morning. My new prescriptions still upset my tummy and what can I say, they have clean restrooms.
           Blog rules again say I must report anything new today, and there was something. Have you noticed soy milk in the dairy case at the market? Not bad, and it would be fine on cereal. It does not have any semblance of the taste of milk, it is not a substitute for the real thing. While sporting fewer calories, it also contains salt. I sampled the regular flavor. With milk climbing toward five bucks a gallon, the price is competitive. What did you do new today?
           I managed to have a five minute convo with Hi, the singer/guitarist who may be interested in teaming up. Already, I have second thoughts. For a guy who says he has ever played in a band, he has some fixed (and wrong) ideas about practice time. Then again, I know people in town who’ve been pissing around for thirty years. While sitting around jamming may eventually work, it hardly constitutes an effective business plan. I gave him the 505 video to view my expectations of a guitar player.
           And he did say twice that he needs money. Wrong motive. You want money, go get a job. Unless you were an overnight sensation by the time you were 24, music ain’t your schtick. In case you haven’t heard, 390 people own half the wealth in the world and you are not one of them. Music is work, but it is not a job. Still, Hi gets a chance. I suspect he is not going to like the work part, something about the way he says he’s “available for practice”.
           It was perfect bike riding weather. I put in twelve miles. That gripping pain deep in my left front shoulder area is very slow at fading, again, precisely where they want to implant that defibrillator. Pain is an evolutionary thing. My brain tells me two pains at the same spot are not the way to know if anything goes wrong. There were an even dozen subspecies of humans before we came along who may not have learned this lesson and I’m not keen on personal extinction.
           It is trivia time, have I kept you waiting? You know what happens when I get into a bookstore. Did you know that penicillin was once so expensive that it was recollected in the urine of patients? Before you sputter, the recycled product was only used on horses.
           Here’s a statistic that is bound to cause misunderstanding. When the Soviets overran the concentration camps in the east, they did not actually find millions of corpses. What they found was 836,255 women’s dresses in the prison storehouses. They figured out the number of inmates by extrapolating the ratio of women in the population. But, one must consider, the Russians came from probably the only villages in Europe where women own one dress each.
           I could not find a single book on patent law that was advanced enough to teach me anything over what I already know. In that sense, patent books are like computer manuals. Instead, I found some clips about the Mayan calendar, you know, the one that says the world ends on December 21, 2012. It turn out the Mayans had three calendars instead of one, the sneaks. They used one calendar for civil events, a second for religion, and a third for history.
           So, which of the three calendars is the one that predicts the end? None of them, it is the religious calendar that simply ends on that date in the near future. The historical calendar, which is the most accurate of the lot, shows no end. It is a case of believing what you want.