Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, April 2, 2010

April 2, 2010

           Millie has passed away, 2000-2010. She took ill in Texas and finally gave in to stomach problems shortly after arriving on the west coast. Millie saw more and did more than most people, and technically, she retired in paradise. Wallace is probably loaded down by the weight of the world right now, but I am doing everything I can to get him his money for this place. The photo is Millie at Key West last July.
           Jack, the new programmer, was in and we have a prototype ready to demo, as opposed to last day when it was merely on-screen. He has done the entire process, something I told you I knew nobody else was being up front about. For example, I read the manuals on FilePro, Apache, PHP, and how to upload to a server. But I could not, from all that reading, find any explanation of how to make all these components work together. And I was not getting any straight answers by asking around.
           Take the instance where, from the reading, I gathered that once the database was developed and placed on a server, it required extensive HTML programming to display it on screen. According to Jack, all that is necessary is to find a server with the correct software and the display takes care of itself. Nobody told me that before. Jack says he learned it all the hard way. He certainly knows what he is doing.
           The trick is to market this thing, and my notes reveal a lot about my thinking three years ago. I called the system WPS for “Web Page Simulator”. Instead of each business paying for a web presence, the idea was to have a stock set of information about such items as business hours and even parking rates. When a customer searches, each search reveals a random pattern of nine business cards.
           The customer scrolls through until finding something. When he clicks on the card, he gets all the information about the business that the owners want him to see. This can be very specific data, such as parking meter rates and business hours. While each search results in a random display of cards, there will be no Internet style nonsense here. The cards must be filed according to my proprietary search criteria. When you search on plumbers, you get plumbers, not some damn Amazon plumbing book for sale.
           You want some good news. Okay, I broke the $1.00 barrier on my how-to articles. I plugged in my two today, including my recipe for chicken flavor rice. I was amazed that nobody had posted that one yet. Thus, I’ve got something in at least five different categories, waiting to see what pays the best. It is a strange algorithm. Some articles get many hits resulting in no money, others produce cash after a few hits. One quarter of all my hits to date were in the past two days.
           Again, it is impossible to say what is really going on, and I have yet to find a site that tells what they pay up front. There is nothing stopping me from posting on other sites, but my plan is to stick with FireHow until I get a clue what is going on. Interestingly, when I post, I can do a Google and my latest material comes right to the top of the page, with a secondary. We are talking sometimes as little as 20 seconds. No waiting months for search engines to catch up.
           Fred’s son was in today with a video of a UFO he saw at 2:30 AM. It looks like the camera was jiggling, but he swears it was held steady and the object was jerking around all over the place. It could be three objects, I felt it looked like the reflection off something that was quivering in the wind. The pictures are too vague to make out any detail except the wiggling lights.
           Last, I watched a great move called “Babel”. It was one of those initially disjointed series of scenes that finally pulls together the life of four families from all over the world. It is worth seeing. One thing it portrays well is the arrogant attitude of American authorities and the victim-baiting that goes on. It also takes a well-deserved dig at the media and the hollow lip-service that all embassies have become. It also portrays the brutality of foreign police tactics. Quite a professional job of directing.
           veryatlantic veryatlantic this is a test of the google search mechanism