Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, May 1, 2010

May 1, 2010

           I stopped by the Catholic thrift earlier and splurged fifty cents on the very poorly authored book “Barbados The Visitor’s Guide”. It got my attention mainly in that it was published in 1982, one year prior to my month long holiday at Rockley Beach. I recall being impressed by how modern the tourist facilities were and now find out most of them, including Grantley Adams airport, had been completed just weeks before I arrived.
           As I recall, I kept very accurate records at that time, so remind me to dig them out. The liberation of Grenada was underway and more than once I was awakened by helicopter racket. I missed a chance to ride on a nuclear sub by one day. Anyway, the book is strained to fill up 150 pages. It manages to convey the fact that, as far as Caribbean islands go, Barbados is progressive.
           And, the book provides today’s trivia. I did not know that countries which have an international airport are required to also have an air-sea rescue team on standby. I wonder if that applies to Switzerland.

           Hooray and all that, for I passed the $4 mark in my FireHow earnings. I’ve so far met my commitment to post one article per day, mind you it has become mountingly difficult to find each new topic. I’m still convinced quality will pay off. I’ve gone back and upgraded some of my earlier work. During April, an impressive 1,088 new people took a peek. At a third of a cent per click, 1,000,000 clicks would make me a lousy $300, so there must be some other factor at play to attract so many authors (around 1,100 at latest count).
           My most recent article was a tangent on the “How to” theme that nobody else seems to have thought of. Instead of writing about how to do something, I wrote about how to understand something. In my wildest dreams, this tactic will become the market niche I’ve been searching for. It would also put some desirable distance between myself and the other writers—distance few of them could hope to cover.
           I’ll be monitoring that article closely. If it is a success, I will publish a short series on topics that are very difficult for most people to comprehend. A good example is what happens to a person between the time they are arrested and the point they get a verdict. To the accused, the entire process is nothing but pitfalls, entrapments and secret procedures designed to keep you off guard, not knowing what happens next or when. Do you speak up? Do you play dead? Who is only pretending to be your friend? People need to know this stuff.

           Bingo was quiet. Rent day again, I suppose. I had some ominous equipment malfunctions, including speaker wire crackle and CD-spoinks from my all important DVD player. On the way up, I hit a massive crack in the sidewalk which heavily jarred all my portable equipment. It is so typical of Florida to not repair such things, it is only one crack in seven miles. They don’t grasp that is all it takes to break your eggs.
           The smaller bingo crowds mean havoc on my finances. I definitely needed some help with the rent and I’m not getting it. This year is different, in that I have no reserves left to tap into. Collapse is imminent, and could be as soon as nine days from now. I’ve cashed in my ePinion account, but that does not even pay the cell phone. Everybody I relied on this year has let me down. Planning on others to keep their word was entirely my own mistake and I once more swear I’ll never do it again.
           Thereafter, Jackie and I went up to Hollywood Johnny’s. The five-piece band was excellent with a blond lady vocalist and two acoustic guitars. They tended to do their own versions, which I sometimes question in such large orchestras, but they were super tight. They even managed a credible rendition of “These Boots”.
           Last, my search for the best version of “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” has narrowed to two contenders. Joan Baez and the Ozark Mountain Daredevils. Most interesting variation is by Johnny Cash, worst version by The Marshall Tucker Band. Why is it the worst? The terrible vocals, plus some lame guitarist decided it wasn’t good enough and plugged in a dozen extra “jazz substitution chords, man, jazz substitution”. Took me 15 minutes to delete all the Dm7+9ths and Fmaj/Es, whatever those are.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++