Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, May 22, 2010

May 22, 2010

           This famous picture is rendered in tile. Or more accurately, it looks like broken glass. The artist must have spent a fortune either finding or cracking glass to the right shapes. This is the last art gallery on Hollywood going out of business. Downtown is now dominated by foreign restaurants with outrageous prices. Would you pay $28 for a tuna melt?
           Urban legend is that such operations never pay taxes and minimum wage under Florida law is $2.13 per hour for food service workers. They are expected to make up the difference in tips, and their attitude shows they fully expect to. I’d save up to go to dinner, but not to support some drop-out’s drug habit.
           What should have been another nothing day turned out okay. I’ve got some VHS to DVD work lined up. It turns out I may be the only person in the area that still does this, and I’m kind of glad Sony makes such lousy equipment for the purpose. They put in to many anti-piracy steps that most people give up. Sony knows they are too embarrassed to ask for their money back.

           Then I got a callout for a printer network. For reasons unknown, hooking up wireless and network printers is not easy work. What should be the easiest step in getting computers to share a peripheral is beyond confusing, particularly through the new AT&T wireless routers. Worse, each setup or configuration is unique so learning the trade is mind-boggling to the newcomer. “I know I told you that, but this time it’s the exact opposite, son.”
           I’ve gotten some e-mail over that word “looser”. Ha, I went back to Craigslist and noticed a new crop of the low-grade specimens that took over that room are having a row over the spelling. Yes, I am the guy who, back in 2006, before most of you ever heard of Craigslist, was the arch-proponent of using that spelling. It goes to show you, some people don’t know their history. The world is full of people and brothers who show up years late and claim they discovered the place.

           On the way home last night, I passed Buddy’s place and heard Karaoke. What the heck, I went in. To a certain extent I must look or act like an entertainer and was quickly asked to sing. The problem was, the new Karaoke show didn’t have any of the tunes I knew until I found “Act Naturally” by Buck Owens. Here’s the good news: when the music came on, it was in a totally different key than the version I know, but I aced it. Believe it or not, I sang an unrehearsed song in an unknown key and it came out perfectly.
           You have no idea how much that means to me. In the past few months I have begun to notice that singing has become less of a “sweating bullets” episode for me, and it is started to actually become enjoyable. I’m still a long way from even doing a basic show. But man, that was something else when that music came on. It was like something clicked in my brain saying “I can do this.”