Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, May 3, 2010

May 3, 2010

           Well, I’m going out on a limb here because I need the money. FireHow does not have a music section, so under Entertainment (to keep it separate from Hobbies) I’m going to publish a bass tab. If you’ve never seen a bass tab, look at today’s jpeg. It is musical notation that shows fret positions rather than notes on a stave. Some sources claim it is a copyright no-no, others say nobody can copyright numbers and dashes. In any case, I always alter (just) the bass line enough to avoid infringement issues.

           If FireHow doesn’t censor me, I’ve found something few people could emulate. Each tab requires at least two hours of work on the typing alone, but I would have an unlimited supply. It represents high quality time-consuming effort. But if it sells, it completely out-classes all other bass tabs that are out there. I didn’t say forever in the universe, only those that are out there. Most are so bad, you’d think my brother wrote them.

           [Author’s note: That is an interesting aside. It relates back to the behavior of my brother. He grabbed the bass (and most everything else he ever did) out of sheer jealousy. I gave up trying to change him. He could only play one beat: duh-duh dum, da-da-duh dum.
           He was very slow to catch on because his motives were wrong. He took on average, an entire six years to figure anything out, but like my father, a very sharp talker for the first hour. After that, most listeners realize repetition sets in. Example, at 19 he was barely managing things I had well-accomplished by age 13. For instance, playing bass. That’s a huge eight year gap, by the way, since he is two years younger. Pathologically, he always claimed he was first, which caused the world to laugh behind his back.
           Those who were not there might attribute such behavior to sibling rivalry, but I was there and it was nothing of the kind. He also behaved this way to strangers, always getting his ass handed back to him. He convinced himself that I was "doing stuff to prove I was better than everybody". You know, in his own way he was right about that. I do live in a very competitive world.
           However, this is the same man who flew into a rage years later when he heard from his marijuana buddies I was “pretending [I] could speak Mexican”. When I pointed out that the Mexicans were pretending to understand me, I heard he had to be restrained. Piss poor behavior for a 31 year old.
           Today, there are words to describe this situation. The fact is, I left it behind so long ago I no longer care. But if I met somebody today who acted that way, I'd say it was an incurable mental condition. The problems ceased when I left town to go to school. He followed, but found that a city is a different battleground than a small town, especially when by then I had learned not to let him tag along.
           What's he doing today? I don't know, but I can guarantee you there has been no change since I cut off contact. His motives were all wrong. There has been no progress, he is today doing exactly what he was when I cut off that contact. The reason? Monkey must see before monkey do.]


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++