Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

May 5, 2010


           This old photo may have already made the rounds, but I was looking for music related shots to spice up my growing list of FireHow bass tabs. Nobody has objected, although the experiment is still pretty new and I do all I can to stress that my bass lines are originals. This jpeg shows the Reb, my ex-whatever, auditioning for a jazz band in LA, back when she was a babe and a half. (That was around 1991, today she is a total babe.)
           As I predicted, the hot summer has arrived early. Get out of the sun, you do not want to bother with Florida this time of year. I biked up to the computer shop and spent the afternoon posting, planning and going over the few jobs that match my skillset. One definite change is that employers are no longer willing to invest much in an employee. They want you to have your own phone, computer, software and such. Then when they can you, they lose nothing.

           Taking a second closer look at links to my FireHow accounts, I can’t help but notice the sources that recommend them do not broach the topic of relevance—does the link have anything to do with your topic? In general links still confuse me, though I understand they are tacit recommendations that somebody liked your material enough to refer to it in their web connection.
           Recently I’ve been astounded by the speed at which certain items I mention here will come to the top of a Google search. Can this be turned to my advantage? That is, can I link to my own work under the theory that such associations are 100% relevant. I’ve read several times that not all links are equal, that the system can tell them apart. If you see more hrefs in this blog soon, you’ll know what gives.

           The Canadiens are gone for the season, along with all their spending. That is hundreds of millions of dollars to the local economy, in case you are curious about their impact. There is less rebound every year despite talk of a recovery. Bryne, a buddy of mine with a marine engineering degree, used to own his own company in California, can’t find work at $12 an hour in Florida. He’s been painting houses.
           After brainstorming last evening, I’m going to put other FireHow posts on hold while I publish 25 or so items on how to play certain old bass tunes. Again, these plans are never commitments, so don’t bet any money on me. This will boost my number of articles to a decent level. In the process, I discovered a command that lets me get rid of the leading that is absolutely baffling. If these tabs catch on, very few people will be able to copy me, and if they do, the copycat aspect will be blatant. As in obvious.


           [Author's note 2015-04-24: I did not follow up with FireHow. They kept changing the default HTML parameters to accomodate the dummies out there, so my best designed pages began to degrade over time. All the hard work becomes a gigantic "why bother". It would be smarter to publish a small book or CD of the bass tabs and sell that. You'd make more money the first day.

           So you know, I never publish my best musical material on line. They'll have to wait for my book.