Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, August 19, 2010

August 19, 2010

                    Here’s records. To me, this typifies the waste that America puts to perfectly good resources. These records, understandably, were originally kept when justice was served. What I detest the most are records kept where no crime was committed. That is, if you are innocent, we’ll keep a file on that, too. Never know when we’ll be needing them again. Geez, we’re sorry about the jail time and the embarrassing public trial and all that, but we’re just doing our jobs. And don’t slam the door on your way out.
                    I was uptown checking on scooter regulations. No surprises, but although scooters of less than 49 cc displacement do not require a special operator’s license or insurance, they still must be registered. That is what is in this bank of file cabinets. Scooter registrations. If you’ve got a scooter, they’ve got to know about it. It is neither free nor voluntary. And you wonder why I dislike the motor vehicle branch.

                    Dave-O drove me around to look at scooter stores. Several are repair shops that are the best bet. He knows a guy that has a small gas motor fitted to his bicycle, but these units are frightfully expensive. Lee’s has them for $700, it is insane that the engine cost more than the cycle. Trivia for today. Dave-O says the original Harley Indian motorcycle had the throttle on the left hand-grip. Why? Seems it was a military design and the driver needed his right hand to shoot with.
                    Later in the day I talked with a guy who got a small gas motor off the Internet for $125. He could not remember the brand name. That’s more like my price range. He says he can hit 35 mph which I consider that more than dangerous. He reports he’s got 1,557 miles on the odometer and used just ten gallons of unleaded gas. Everybody makes a big deal out of the afternoon rainstorms.

                    Rain does not bother me in warm climates. I rented scooters in Hawaii back in the 80s. If it rains, just keep on driving. You’ll be dry in a few minutes. Florida weather is similar to Thailand with little rain squalls in the afternoon. You just pull into a roadside hut and wait. The owner will always have a Coca-Cola and the storms rarely last more than twenty minutes.
                    Let me tell you a tale about Thailand. I have many, this is just one. I always rent a motorcycle, not a scooter. Same price over there. Anyone can become a Buddhist monk and most Thai males do so at some point in their lives. They wear characteristic orange robes, shave their heads, and forego all material possessions.
                    Well, darned if I didn’t meet two guys who had been hiking in the Himalayas. They had bought all manner of useless regulation gear and were now chucking it. They gave me a raincoat, one of the kind you can never get back in the package after using it one time. I had to make a trip into Phuket for radio batteries, so no problem, I put on the raincoat and went blasting through the storm into town.
                    The raincoat was a dull orange color that turned bright orange as it got wet. It also turned a lot of heads because it looked at first glance like a Buddhist on a motorcycle. I shocked the hell out of a few thousand people until I got close enough for them to see I wasn’t bald. Ah, beautiful Thailand, back when it was still Thailand.
                    A lot of people tell me I should write my memoirs. My answer is that they are already written. Hand-written at the time, so they are not even memoirs. I’ve explained that computers were not always the wonderful and hassle-free units we have today. That’s a joke, son. Funny you should come along at the right time, for I have slated to begin key-entering my journals in late October this year. This is a monumental undertaking. I have thousands of photos, all slides, to be converted to digital. But what slides they are, wait till you see some of the places I’ve been. I spent $186,000 traveling when I was younger (in "then" dollars). Oh, and most places I walked, so don’t get any idea I wasted my cash on tourist taxis and cruise ships.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++