Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, August 8, 2010

August 7, 2010

           Here’s a Dnepr. There is no agreement about its reputation. Some say it is Russian rugged, others say they are no longer made but assembled out of heaps of junk parts stockpiled in the Ukraine. I have a lot more information and here is the important stuff. Used, these sell for between $2,000 and $4,000.
           An outfit in Seattle sells new ones in kit form, but they pointedly mention no price in their ads. By extrapolation I’ve determined they sell new starting at $6,500 and are often retro-fitted with alternative engines. One for sale specified the power plant was a Volkswagen car motor.
           All four wheels are interchangeable and it has two-wheel drive. All units for sale on the Internet listed surprisingly low mileage. The one in the photo claims 91 miles on the odometer. Modeled on a BMW, it has an electric starter and a reverse gear. The two-cylinder motor displaces, depending on who you believe, 650 or 750 cc.
           Most common complaint are shoddy fittings and plenty of fluid leaks. Note the bicycle style rear passenger seat, just to the right of the spare tire. The Dnepr was designed to carry provisions for two soldiers for three days. Sidecars are extremely rare around here; I’ve never seen one on the road, although I saw one at a filling station once. The Dnepr wieghs 805 pounds. (A comparable Honda is over 100 pounds lighter.)

           Unbeknownst to me, my bingo act was voted out of the Moose. There was a proposition to get me in there, but it was turned down during a meeting. You see, the Moose operates on volunteer everything and although I work for tips only, some felt it was setting a precedent. I am also informed the vote was split exactly along the lines of those who have seen my show (aye) and those who have not (nay). Bingo tends to be a local event and the Moose is many miles inland.
           Tonight was the 50th consecutive weekly bingo, and it has finally overtaken my music in tips. I have to get something together, to which end I’ve established contact with Ed (not Eddie, my mistake) over at Guitar Center. Dave-O is just not going to make it in time, although I believe he will continue to practice now. On the return from bingo, I stopped in to see Jeanie at the Octopus and they were running an open mic. (Jeanie is okay but never form a band with a single mother. You will be sorry.)
           It is sad to see that open mic has become synonymous with guitar contest in this town. Of all the instrumentalists in the world, only guitarists are perpetually hung-up on who is “best”. That gig pays $150 and is one of the first I will approach when I find the right partner. That pay is all (as in the most) you get these days, and that is where I’ve geared my act from the start. If they think those clone guitarists were good, they are going to love my show. Otherwise, downtown was dead with a couple of disk jockeys and Latino bands (who play the same song all night long. I suspect it may even be the same song?).

           Some outfit called Mr. Laff’s has an open mic that is gnawing away at the less educated types on Craigslist. The joint may be worth a look. The reviews say the owner and his son set up a stage and infrequently accompany performers. The reaction rages from horrible to horribly funny. From the pictures, it’s a pub turned into a restaurant. Check back once I get a new transportation.
           At the library earlier, some crude jerk came in and sneezed on me. Then he sat there for his hour sucking in snot every few minutes. Just when you think you’ve done with ignorant bastards, in they trot. Insert snipe at my family here. There was a time when the library was a refuge, now they have to put “No Games” signs on the computers. By evening, I had a terrible sore throat coming on.
           Here’s trivia, for me anyway. You know those piped in TV sports games in the bars? I discovered the fee. It is $50 for the bar, plus $5 for each patron that walks in the door, whether or not they watch the game. What a racket. Worse yet, they have an agent who is paid to do the counting and who poke in at all local clubs to see if anyone is pirating the game. These agents must disguise themselves as patrons, since I know more than one “sportsman” that would take care of that situation in a hurry.
           So that means a pub like Kelly’s, where maybe 15 noisy drunks actually watch the game, would be paying upwards of $700 for the telecast. That’s the whole night’s take during off season. Yet, they have to pay it or risk losing regulars. My opinion on the matter is simply that I am not the type who draws any association between sports and television. But I know a swindle when I see one.
           You have to be careful, Teresa Perkovic. I found your ID in the street, and correctly calculated you must have been in the check-cashing store up the way. I confirmed you had been in earlier, and left it with them. Things like ID disappear faster than greased lightning in these parts. Especially when you last name sounds like a prescription drug.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++