Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, August 8, 2010

August 8, 2010

           This is the world’s first transistor radio, produced in 1955. Sony, back when it used brains to name products, called it TR-55. They licensed the technology from some American company and again, the motive to build overseas was labor costs. The product had another major innovation: a printed circuit board. History shows since that time Sony’s biggest money-maker has been the dreaded “service contract”, selling the stupid American his own product warranty.
           That’s what you get on such rainy days. Most Florida rainstorms are less than twenty minutes. There must be major storm systems off the coast to dump water on us all day. Visibility is down to two blocks. I know, I got stranded up at El Presidente this morning for nearly an hour. If you ever need to know how stupid people can be and still get by in this world, stand around in a crowd of them and listen. I can’t predict rain, but at least I know it happens sometimes and allow for that.

           The old location finally demolished my mobile home. So it took them two years to get to that stage. Too bad, the place was getting to be a local landmark, people wondering what it was doing by itself in the middle of the field. Enjoying a little peace and quiet, if you ask me. I should organize a protest but I figure I’ve cost them enough money already that they’ll never forget me.

           [Author's note 2015-08-08: it turns out later the place dropped a third in value over the time it took to raze that mobile home. I have no way of knowing how much of it was due to my intervention, but I like to think it was plenty. Soon after the drop, the city, under a series of aliases, began buying up the properties little by little. They intend to build an art gallery or something equally useless monument to the Pharoah.]

           I watched a series of youTubes about a Dnepr making a cross-country trip through a Ukrainian swamp. Included were some impressive scenes where the motorcycle was sunk half-deep in mud. The woman was wearing high-top gum boots and pushing from behind to unditch the wheels. This can leave no doubt about how rugged and hardy Slavic equipment can be. That motorcycle was pretty tough-looking, too.
           I mentioned the no-go from the Moose bingo y’day. That is one sad thing to lose, with four times the regular membership of my current location. I was assured that it was not my show, which is locally somewhat famous. I should stage a game or two at some nearby club and draw the crowd for a couple of weeks, see what difference that makes. My childhood taught me how easy it is for others to veto anything new simply because they didn’t think of it themselves.
           My playback equipment is all worn out from using it for bingo. It isn’t the game, it is the weekly setting up and tearing down. This has always been the primary nemesis of musical equipment. Show me somebody with an old guitar in perfect condition and I’ll show you somebody who never uses it on stage. My guess is I’ve got another couple of weeks before I need to replace the single most expensive component, my DVD player. What? Because I can’t use a CD player, the display screens are too small.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++