Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, December 6, 2010

December 6, 2010


           You’ll probably have to come back after today has happened for any news. Meanwhile, here’s a $5,000 saxophone and a small pond up at the local dive shop. I look at that water and think, “My, what a diatom-rich environment.” That’s the second photo today, see the brownish tinge on the rocks behind the waterfall? Them’s diatoms.
           It is freezing cold and put on the last sweater I own. It was like waking up in the Dakotas, no amount of stomping around warms you up and you can’t stop yawning. If I was camping, I’d get out the cataclysmic heater. At this humidity, the cold bites right through so I am headed for an early breakfast at El Senor’s. I find the crowd over at Nicki’s not quite my sort of people for some reason. I don’t interact, but I can see and hear them. It’s like a mini-Panera when they get loud enough
.
           Again, the scooter is giving unexpected benefits. Today’s big even was a 13 mile trip out to Davie to jam with the lady singer recently mentioned, Staci. There was a mix-up and she does not play, but we spent nearly two productive hours going over material with basically the bass and vocals. We connected on several levels including liking the same crowds, considerable stage experience, and knowing what to do when the other band members don’t show or don’t cooperate.
           Like most, she has never seen a bass solo act before. Singing acapelo is orders of magnitude easier than fronting a show with an electric bass. Her husband knows basic guitar and we had a frank discussion about the size of the band. The arrangement made is tentative, but we will continue to learn the same music and iff (if and only if) her husband can book us for $500 gigs, which he says he can, do we play as a trio. Oh yes, there is one other little thing. They admit I have proven once and for all we don’t need a lead player.
           The ride back was icicle time, the authorities are advising all homeless not to sleep outside. Instead, head for the shelter where they will be subjected to questioning which creates the kind of situation that made a lot of them homeless in the first place. The forecast is temperatures in the 40s, brutal for anyone outside. I needed two quilts and had to wear a toque since it took two hours to completely warm up after that motorcycle trip in the dark. It was worth it.
           I went up to Barnes & Noble again, always one of my favorite hangouts. A much better selection than the library, since they have to stock what people want rather than what some committee thinks they are supposed to want. Let me digress here and point out this is an example of the scooter saving money that isn’t obvious, but the effect is real. Here’s an easier connection to make: it takes me 37 minutes to go downtown and back by bicycle. On a day like this, I’m more likely to use the corner ATM, which charges $2.50 on top of my banks $2.00. With the scooter, I’m there and back in ten minutes and with the saved $4.50, I can travel 150 miles.
           Bookstores also contain something missing downtown: educated women, It is also easier to sort them out according to who is standing by the astronomy magazines and which ones are over at the self-help rack. There was one today who saw me reading a cookbook and I was just going to move in for the kill but she looked away a moment too soon for my liking. Sporty looking thing, too.

           I’m reading “Eden Found”, the book by Alaine’s brother-in-law. It is chock full of unusual metaphors although some approach corny. The author has apparently never been to college but I vouch for the extreme accuracy of historical events in the book. The guy is either extraordinarily well-read or has access to leading edge research material. He describes how the pyramids match Orion’s belt, but also that the match occurred in 10,500 BC. The pyramids weren’t built until 6,000 years later.
           He also knew that at 10,500 BC, the Sphinx was looking at the constellation Leo. And somehow he also knew that the Egyptians, who kept marvelous records every building, never mention the construction of the Sphinx. Furthermore, Egyptian civilization appeared instantly in its final form, there were no centuries of gradual buildup as in other cultures. I find it impressive that he also knew the Sphinx shows signs of wear from rainfall (precipitation erosion).
           The book has many such facts that run counter to accepted thought. His plot incorporates theories I’ve never heard of that make sense. Follow this: the Egytians didn’t build the Sphinx because it was already there. The desert was tropical in 10,500 BC. The Sphinx originally had a lion’s head and it was recarved to human by some vain Pharoah.
           I rate the book as worth reading. There are no loose ends and only about ten easy-to-recall characters. Worst defect is the title, “Eden Found”. It needs a title that allures the reader into the scenery, with hostages, rescues, bombs, and lust. The book, with promotion and a good title could rival the recent bestsellers.
           Temp: 56.3 Press: 30.1 Humid: 84.2.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++