Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, January 3, 2011

January 3, 2011


           Not much action today since a lot of logistics often happens behind the scenes. My mandatory slow time found me reading Carla Neggers’ “Cold Ridge”. Billed as a romance mystery, so far it has an excellent balance between the two. The protagonist is actually single for a change, though an orphan. Sure. Do return for the outcome on this one.
           Pat-B was on the blower, he called me a week back about a Fishman (PA system) for sale, but a week ago I could not have considered it. I spent two hours at the public library listening to hopeless men making obscene noises through their noses. The library lets them. I wonder if such males ever get, you know, but then again, both my brothers somehow managed although it took them until they were damn near 20. Even then, rumor is they begged for it.

           Past New Year’s, everybody has a tight schedule. I called and left a message for Jag, and arranged a rehearsal with Staci this Wednesday. Add another hour trying to get information out of Social Security. My guess is I already know more about their formulas than their self-styled experts.
           When this is all over, I intend to publish the facts they don’t seem to want the unsuspecting public to know. They just won’t give you an estimate of your Social Security based on future earnings, only the past. It does no good to point out that if you knew for certain, it would not be an estimate. Once I get the data, I’ll spell it out. Your estimated Social Security monthly payment is determined by the best 35 years of your income divided by 420. Take 25% of that figure if you are rich, 45% of that if you are poor, and that is your probable Social Security benefit.
           Jackie and I strolled up to Boston Johnny’s for trivia and came in third last. I’m proud to say I have no idea whose photo appeared on every Seinfeld episode. (Superman) The mix of 40% TV trivia guaranteed we’d lose but even the judges admitted some of our answers were unusually creative. Favorite missed question: what were the first names of Jekyll and Hyde? I just read that book two months ago and missed the answers. Henry and Edward. Is that English enough for you?

           Bryne called, this time from Boca. In a rapid turnaround in his situation, he has a job with an expanding company. That’s almost unheard of these days, and he reports a commission based income he’s more than content with. He got a knack for management that makes him a natural salesman. That spurred me to look at job listings for all the occupations now forbidden to me. I see these ads for starting salaries of $150,000 for financial analysts and I can’t do a thing about it. Quite depressing, actually, which is why I must get out and do something every day.
           Later, I’m half through “Cold Ridge” and I recommend it. Neggers isn’t constantly dropping hints only detectable by divorced detectives and movie producers. Her characters have real names and limited to a sensible dozen or so, all kindly introduced before page 63. Linear plots, no flashbacks or amnesia, and she only pulls the “sensible shoes” routine a few times. Commendably, the romance scenes are age-appropriate and realistic, that is, missionary and once a week. Did I just say that?
           Hello my new readers from BK. Yes, that is me. You didn’t think I was just another yokel off the cabbage sled, did you? It can’t be lost I am usually the only guy reading and writing while at your tables in any given month. Read on and enjoy, as this blog is for information along with entertainment and you never know.
           Alaine called, I’m heading out on the weekend to install crown molding, something I’ve never even attempted before. I’ll stop by the Depot to price an electric nail gun. No swinging a hammer over my head for this bass jockey. I related to Alaine how I had once seen a guy put a box together in less than a minute using such a tool, and if it is like $35 or less, I’m suggesting she get one. The molding is really fancy, the type you buy by the foot on credit and I don’t want to mess anything up.

           I’ve decided to try building a radio from transistors. This step is well within my capabilities now and it is one of those things I always wanted to do. In my corporate days, I used to amaze coworkers by building a working radio out of common office supplies. But transistors I don’t grasp so it is time to learn. It is astonishing to hear something out of a self-made contraption and you don’t have to be Albert Frankenstein to do it.
           I found an excellent set of plans on the Internet. Then I neglected to favorite it and now, you guessed right, it has vanished. Tomorrow I look again. I need that diagram, for I said I can build the radio, not that I understand the transistors. I dunno, have you ever built a transistor radio? I've built radios, but not with transistors. (In the end, I didn't bother. There was no challenge to using transistors.)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++