Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

January 4, 2011


           This schematic is the 13 parts inside a wireless microphone. I’ll get to than in a moment. The scooter stats are in for December. I put on 770 miles, six times my average monthly travels. The cost was $43.17 or about what I used to spend on bus passes. After the break-in period, mileage has settled down to slightly over 61 mpg at an average cost of 5.6 cents per mile. The overall savings is incalculable, the whole operation has been so cheap that it is tempting to put off maintenance items if they cost a lot compared to the scooter itself. Like $50 worth of new tires.
           On the way I stopped to check on Dave-O. Everybody assumed he took off for Xmas. He was in the hospital for eleven days, and he looks just terrible. I found him sitting on the porch in his bathrobe too weak to stand up. All from food poisoning. He at red beans and rice at a Dominican restaurant and within a half hour was in emergency. You already know nothing with Dave-O is ordinary and this time they figure the beans had been contaminated overseas by rat feces.
           The cost put him out of commission so he had no phone or Internet to contact anyone. I went and got him some Maalox and $20 for food. (My name is not Dr. Minty.) Unlike my situation where my insurance ran out, he didn’t have coverage for this type of event in the first place. That’s when back luck strikes. His place is a mess. Seeing him killed my appetite all day and it was dark before I could keep anything down. In this case, tomato soup with brown sugar. What? Doesn’t everybody put a spoonful of it in tomato soup?

           From there I went around paying all the bills, still wondering where Wallace has gone to. (I was to later learn he never showed up or left to any schedule.) Still enthused by the Xmas season, I checked into some equipment costs. I never for a second thought what I wanted was not available or was so expensive as to not be worth it. Here, walk through an example with me. I want to sing and play but I don’t want to be stuck on stage. So I’ll just get a wireless microphone.
           Not so fast, there. It turns out all wireless body packs have only a single input, and in the case of Shure (an otherwise reputable company) there is a proprietary input jack. These transmitters cost $400 each and I would thus need two of them, three if I want to work the drum machine. I could use a mixer, but have you seen the size of the alleged “compact” mixers these days? I am really chewing on the idea of building something myself but that is distant future.
           The nearby photo is the cheapest bass wireless system I could find, at $85. Wouldn’t it be nice if anybody stocked it? I spent an hour in Guitar Center and met a guitarist who plays country. They have a Fishman set up in the guitar room but it transpired that none of the guitarists in there knew what it was until I showed them. The talk was that nobody in the local scene is making money these days. I didn’t say a word.
           My Arduino still has not showed up. I’m really hoping I’m not stuck with another outfit that deposits Money Orders. I’ll wait another day but something is already wrong. If there are any issues, I’ll just drop them as a supplier because I made very sure they understood how Money Orders worked before I ordered. I'll say it again: only idiots deposit money orders. That defeats the entire "instant money" concept of the money order and screws the customer by making him wait. It is truly amazing how many stupid people do not know that you cash money orders as soon as you get them.

           I spent an hour reading up on crown molding. It was one bored and shrewd carpenter that came up with that notion. The examples showed workers with the exact proper equipment in spotless workrooms, cutting perfect angles every time. Here’s one for all you construction geniuses out there. In the videos, the electrical boxes were all on the “wrong” side of the studs. I know why. Do you?
           The electric nailers were out of range for a single job, all over $100. Overhead work says itself not to use anything except cordless. There is an electrified staple gun in the $30 range, but it shoots a 5/8” brad maximum. That barely pokes through drywall. I talked to Alaine, advising her to borrow something. The eHow site said you need a minimum 2” nail.
           It would have been an ideal day to work on the scooter. I’ve got a burned out signal bulb, a shorted wire under the canopy, the oil plug is jammed and nearly stripped, and all the bolts are missing from the air cleaner cover. But, but, it is so much fun to ride, who wants to do the work?
           Why were the outlets not in the customary stud positions? The installing electrician was left-handed.