Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, February 11, 2011

February 11, 2011


           Those who like my photos hit the jackpot today, three pictures. The first one you have to figure out what it is. The hint is that there are many more where that came from. I was down on the beach today but the weather turned too cold to stick around. That's the second picture. To the right side, you see HWB restaurant. I was in to see Barry. He reports that he once had a 1966 Corvette stolen, saying "The other liked it better than I did."
           Shown here is the torn up beach access road, another phase of the interminable facelift being given to the beach now that the winter crowds have disappeared. The city is doing exactly the wrong thing by investing in this type of infrastructure. They should be creating free, secure parking. That's right, patrolled parking lots with security cameras. The increased business will take car of everything else. If they want to wean themselves off the tourists, all that's left is the locals. I would not go to the beach unless I could park for free.

           Hollywood is run by idiots. Who else puts maximum time parking meters on the biggest tourist draw in town? When you go to the beach, forget about relaxing all day, you have to go back to your parking meter at what will always be an inconvenient time. I know I've had to take unopportune breaks from playing music to go plug in coins. All because the City of Hollywood and everybody who works for them is too stupid to see things from the other side of the desk.
           Of all the web "How To" sites, I find eHow the most amateurish. In some cases, the posters are after hits and don't even know what they are talking about. For example, I wanted directions on how to return an uncashed money order, a process technically called "redeeming". The eHow people don't understand that redeeming and cashing are not the same thing.

           I was there because Western Union was not helpful on my situation. They have lots of directions on how to redeem the money order if this and if that, all grabbing a $15 to $30 "processing fee". What they don't state is what to do when the purchaser (myself) has everything: the uncashed money order, the original bottom half, proof of purchase and proper ID. It could be they don't have many customers as meticulous as myself, but hey, why can't I just take it to one of their offices and get my cash back? Instead of waiting eight weeks.
           But that eight weeks will be very well used. Things looming on the horizon will eclipse the hardships of the previous three years. That's not to say I'll be busy, in fact, thanks to the scooter, I'm all caught up. I've read every book in the house several times have started hanging out at the library most days. I went up to Dania to check on some property and passed the old Dania Beach Hotel, shown here. I thought it would be long gone by now.


           It seems to me the city condemned it for being an eyesore. Look what they've replaced it with. It is also right across the roadway from the hotel that had that landmark "Jai Alai" sign, which they also condemned and tore down. It was atop a pub I went in once to see if they had live entertainment. No, and I never went back because of the weird atmosphere. Fifteen drunks trying to pick up the overage barmaid who had perfected her working class appeals. Rather disgusting, actually.
           But not as offensive as the local politics. The first picture today is a tiny fraction of the condo blight on the waterfront. The politicians tear up the streets ten years too late and in the middle of the tourist season, if there was one. And they destroy tourist attractions in the false name of the public good. They got the wrong policy at the wrong time for the wrong reasons while lining their own pockets.
           Oops, pardon me, my mistake, I was thinking of Hosni Mubarak when I said all that.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++