Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, February 12, 2011

February 12, 2011


           A first in years, I went out for breakfast. Today is was the classic cafe in the Town Drugs building, near I-95 on east Hollywood Blvd. It has the works, counters, booths, surly waitresses, patrons right out of Happy Days and get this--an almost real breakfast special.
           Hold on, waddaya mean "almost real". I mean that calling it a special traditionally means the restaurant threw in the coffee and toast for free when you ordered the breakfast. (If they don't, it isn't exactly special at all.)
           There is a regular item on Town Drug menu for $3.79 that includes two eggs, a pancake, a tiny sausage pattie and (wonders) free refills from a thick, heavy coffee mug. It is cheaper than the advertised "special" at $3.79 which does not include coffee. And so it works out to $5.00 including the tip, and that is as close to a breakfast special as to be found in this county.

           They are only lacking some of those juke box remotes to make it a movie set. I found the place a little noisy as there was one 40-ish blonde waitress really pushing things, and of course, there are always married men flocking around such behavior. During the course of my half-hour meal, she managed to say the appetizing words, "facial hair", "lactating", "wet all over", "naked", "stripping" and approximately five sexual innuendos per minute. Next time, I'll sit up at the far end instead of at the stools.

           [Author's note: the juke remotes can take credit for my original interest in computers. Years ago, I had a paper route and used to stop and play the "Wall-O-Matic", fascinated by how it knew how much money I put in it (usually a dime). Don't confuse your juke boxes, there were three major competitors: Wurlitzer, Rock-Ola, and Seeburg. The remote box I am referring to was by Seeburg.
           According to Wiki, the juke box you are probably thinking of is the Wurlitzer 1015 because it sold 46,000 units. The rarest juke box is the Rock-Ola president, priced at $150,000 for the only known survivor. Great trivia for today!]


           Face it, I'm a shop lizard, I hang around shops. It beats associating with office workers and construction types who are generally such losers they are prone to one-up-manship. In a real shop, you either get along or get the hell out.
           I'd gone in early to set up bingo. There was a movie on AMC I haven't seen since I was a teen: Jeremiah Johnson. That's the last time I was ever at a drive-in. My date, a dance instructress from Seattle, was so boring, I watched that movie. I did. Besides, I had recently broken up with Judy Minty and she was one hard act to follow.
           Bingo, as we know, has evolved and the pots are twice the size from a year ago although the crowd has leveled off. A small group often means one person winning several pots and we've had people pass the $200 mark. Tonight, three people won 8 out of 10 games. That makes for record tips, and makes me very popular with the staff.
           I'm not a Saturday night person, but this time I went to Kelly's to watch the ladies on Harrison. There are no decent single women left in S. Florida, but one should never quit looking. What? Hey, I said, "decent".

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++