Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, February 13, 2011

February 13, 2011


           Offerdahl's, shown here. It's a sandwich grill across from the Hollywood Target plaza. Bingo bought brunch so I settled on the black bean burger. Add coffee and it was a $9 mean that didn't quite fill me up. Good food, but the place is a little too yuppie for me.
           Home Depot is 14 minutes by scooter versus nearly two hours by bicycle. I spend 96 cents on bolts for my cargo rack. The bungee cords cost more. The fact that I am now using the scooter for such mundane tasks is very good news, if you know what to look for.

           Then, to the scooter shop. For a productive day of advertising and planning. I'll be setting up two Internet computers and today learned how to create Google maps. These will really make the scooter ads stand out, plus I figured out how to manipulate and pad the scripts so our ads always stay on top.
           It is clear Google got sued or stewed over those maps, considering the security measures they take to insure the business is for real. Within the hour, I found posting an ad under Craigslist services is also subject to intense verifications. Does anybody know the story behind all this?
           I've also developed a handy list of deprecated tags that still work on Craigslist. It makes our ads the most sophisticated in the categories (motorcycles, cycles, and services). My idea of plastering any vacant scooter stores with our ads has paid off. I was in the shop when customers rolled in mentioning the ads.
           My logic was pure simplicity. Bankrupt businesses often leave their exterior signs up for incredibly long periods. It would be foolish to waste such opportunities.

           While investigating scooter headlamp law (yes, you must leave the light on in Florida), I found that EFR is allowed in this state. When you buy vehicle insurance from a company, you are really borrowing the money for them to put up a bond. They overcharge you and often reveal your private personal information to anyone who wants it. It is well known that many civil law suits are instituted because people who don't like you are able to find out you have a policy and how much it is for.
           EFR is "evidence of financial responsibility", which I've had my entire adult life. I post a private bond equal to the amount of required insurance. This avoids the agency rip-off rates, makes it difficult to discover where the money is without you finding out about it in advance, and you will drive more carefully because it is your own money at risk.

          [Author's note: I later discovered that EFR is not a common term at all. It goes by various names, but it never caught on, in fact, I can't even find where I originally got the term from. Anyway, insurance companies make a fortune by including obscene amounts of interest on the money they essentially "lend" you in case of an accident. They certainly would not want it popularly known that you can "insure" yourself if you have enough money.]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++