Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

February 16, 2011


           I walked out of the government office on Monday with a sore throat. I never did like that waiting room. Now I have a full-fledged fever. Dave-O was over this morning and I had to decline hanging out for the day. I finally made it to Denny's for the first time in years and see the coffee is now $1.99 a cup ($2.11 with tax). I had two refills.
           I'm still a few hours away from finishing "The Hunt for Red October". The book goes on quite a while after the movie, which ends with the submarine sailing up river. The book goes further, telling of the events concerning the Russian, pardon me, Soviet sailors and the reaction of the Moscow committees. The character count is endless with ponderous Slavic names still being introduced at the 81% mark.

           I've enlisted some help finding out what the extra capacitor is that appears in most modern radio circuit diagrams. Eddie, the guitar guy, knows electricity though not necessarily electronics. The difference is an electrical guy knows what the components do, but not always how they perform in combination. His theory is that it prevents "bleed" from the speaker. I hesitate on that because a circuit that will only power an earphone still exhibits the extra capacitor. See it in the nearby diagram, labeled "C1 1000".

           [Author's note: the tank circuit in question is basically what is known as a crystal radio set. It derives power from the antenna. The earpiece is a piezoelectric crystal and should not need an anti-bleed feature. Original 1930 radio schematics, such as the ones I prefer, lack this capacitor. If you examine the layout, one side of the capacitor receives a rectified half signal, the other side gets the raw signal. We're working on it.]

           I'm still driving longer than usual daily distances to break in the new scooter. Today I found a park I never knew was there, south where West Dixie parallels Biscayne. It has two attractions instantly noticeable. The clientele is Anglo and they have unvandalized picnic tables. Or did I just repeat myself? Remember, I call 'em as I see 'em. I am not prejudiced, particularly not against verifiable facts.
           I also dropped into that excellent Italian market near 163rd. It is worth just a walk through that place. It's a little pricey but they've got things you've never seen before. I didn't stick around as for some reason the area was crawling with police. Scooters and wild crossfires are rarely a good mix.

           My favorite game show, Cash Cab, has a second location. This time Chicago, although the lady cab driver kind of looks like she grew up around there. The show is terribly disliked by people who can't get the answers. I'm still waiting for a confirmation call from the government, so I spent the hot part of the day in Barnes & Noble. They do not stock a single book on the topic of angular momentum.
           The Internet was not much help either. Isn't it interesting that to get past the surface knowledge on any subject, I still have to find a library with a good reference section? Ft. Lauderdale library comes to mind, but it is unlikely I'd ever go there until they provide free parking. Sometimes I make a parking arrangement with the staff at a nearby convenience store, but that is hardly a good solution. Otherwise, Ft. Lauderdale is a nothing town, and don't even bother with the beaches off season, all the queers hang out there. And Ft. Lauderdale truly has its quota of queers.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++