Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, February 20, 2011

February 20, 2011


           I started out to put some miles on the scooter and wound up at Quizno’s in south Miami. JP was out in the Keys and I had decided not to attend the Coconut Grove Art Festival. It is no fun without somebody to help drool over the pretty girls and have guy fun picking up women. Besides the admission is $10 and they do not provide any shade or any place to sit in the fairgrounds.
           I still wound up at the show. The best art was these wires shaped like women. They are weightless (like the women I date) and are meant to hang from a wall or ceiling. I didn't ask the price, but I'd like to meet the model.

           As usual, the prices at the show were astronomical, so I spent nothing, zero. A hot dog is $5 and a turkey leg was $12. I don’t pay to go to sales exhibitions, I feel they should pay me to attend.
           However, in the convoluted logic of experience, you can’t leave a hole in the fence and blame the boys for crawling through it. Five years ago, JP and I painted an apartment in the area. You park behind, avoiding the $20 parking fee everyone charges during the show and ride up the service elevator to the 12th floor. Then you walk through the never-used conference room, take the passenger elevator to ground and melt into the crowd just inside the gate.

           [Author's note: Before anyone starts playing preacher, remember, I did not say I sneaked in, only that I know how. But let me say it is no loss to anyone if a few people get in that would not attend unless they could do so for free. I fall squarely in that category, again, not saying I did anything. This blog is for entertainment.]

           My guess is there were 26,000 people present that day. JZ’s standards are much lower different than mine, so I had a hard time girl-watching. The ugly ones hurt my eyes. I found exactly one babe in the whole crowd. She was the image of Judy, my late teenage sweetheart. I could see she found it stifling to be stuck with her family group, and her father was watching her like a hawk. She was a little too old to be single and he wasn’t letting anyone approach her that didn’t look like a millionaire.
           In a related incident, I found a shady spot of grass, there being no chairs or benches. A group of ladies nearby were complaining that they weren’t meeting any “single guys”. One of them must have seen my eyebrow raise and realized what I was thinking. If you want to meet singles, ladies, why are all of you pushing baby carriages? I saw a lot of that at the phone company, women who thought being female meant they could get away with anything they pleased. Then complain over the consequences.

           Another interesting item was the Rolling Ball Sculptures for those who remember what those are. The one shown here was $3,600. Although cheaper than kids, that's a lot of loot for something that makes a racket in your living room.
           Today I put 70 miles on the scooter, bringing it closer to that 500 mile break-in mark. The machine has not yet been over 35 mph, most of the sustained travel has been around 30 mph. That explains these photos from the art show. I normally don't drive the scooter that far in a day.

           [Author's note 2016-02-22: This was the first of around twelve trips that scooter would ultimately make to Miami. If that doesn't sound like very many, try it. No, you cannot take the freeway.]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++