Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, March 26, 2011

March 26, 2011

           See the propane bottle on the scooter? This is the way I like it. When you run out, you go get some more. No credit score, no address on file, no usage charts, everything is your business. Even with nothing to hide, I still like it that way. It is the best arrangement in an “open” society. Remember, it is not facts that cause trouble. It is the malicious abuse of facts by those who twist things for their own purposes. It is legal in America for the stupid to cast negative aspersions with impunity. If all propane service did was mess up people like that, I would like it.
           Best of all, there is no standing monthly charge. A refill is $17.43 at Kmart Tire making a trip up there on the scooter an excellent bargain [since it is $22.95 everywhere else]. Yes, my friends, practicing for my own retirement was one of the smartest moves I’ve ever made. That’s how I learned most people only think they know how to retire, Lord help them. Although they don’t open for another three hours, I’m headed up to Kmart, which is coincidentally right next to Barnes & Noble where a coffee and a cookie cost the same as the money saved on fuel.
           Last evening I was testing my home-made HDTV antenna when I saw a program on the “Shark Tank”. Some guy, and he was clever, invented a bacteria filter you place over your nostrils. You hold the semi-clear plastic disks “like a contact lens” and place one over each of your nares. It filters out “99% of bacteria and viruses” although I don’t know about the virus part. The pores would have to be so small it would obstruct your breathing.
           And he knew his product to the limit, that guy was cool under fire, turning down a $4 million offer. I think he should have held out for $10 million, since his exposure on that show alone could easily net him millions enough to avoid having hard-nosed partners like the panelists.
           In two months I will be celebrating my fifth anniversary at Jimbos. That beats all records for a house gig from any entertainer I’ve ever met in Florida, even allowing for their inflated claims. (It also beats a lot of testimonials by people who brag they ran a successful business.) With around eight exceptions, I’ve performed there every week. Do recall I classify bingo as another form of entertainment because it is.
Don’t write bingo off as unmusical either until you’ve seen one of my shows where the game has to be halted while I lead the house in a rousing round of “You Don’t Have To Call Me Darlin’”. That is something to see.
           I’ve already looked back at my [very complete] records of the performances. The equipment necessary to put on this singles act cost me $3,842.42 and I’ve spent $743.63 in gasoline traveling up there. I’ve had $114.53 in material wear out on me, mostly cables, and I spent $57.35 on batteries. All told, my costs of doing business amounted to exactly 16.0% of revenues. All equipment has been perfectly maintained and is in new working condition except for surface wear and tear. Five years, and they told me it couldn’t be done.
           On the way back I checked in on Dave-O, the doctor has him all wired up again, like California Johnny. Such doctors get people dependent on painkillers and don’t cure a thing, but I can see it from the doctor’s point of view. The patient is in pain and it is nothing treatable now. But how long do you go for that?
           A taste of summer weather this weekend means a scooter trip tomorrow, the distance determined by Jimbos’ tonight. I’m staying indoors and reading, why I may have even discovered why all my sensors won’t read. It is because I’ve been connecting the leads to the port that receives the signals. Apparently, they work like voltage dividers and one has to tap off a central area, meaning a very transistor-ish behavior. This is why I chose to build from scratch. The available directions leave out too much important small stuff.
           I’m staying out of the sun and making fish chowder. Dave-O does not eat herring, while I’m a fan of such fish. I like them filleted, dressed and I’d even buy them in little steaks if somebody would pack them like that. If you don’t eat raw fish, you aren’t getting any natural iodine. To me, herring is the most “fish-like” of the ocean fishes. Dave-O reports he has never eaten a sardine in his life.