Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, April 15, 2011

April 15, 2011


           Here is a picture of C.V. Meyers ten years before his death in 1990. He was a leading proponent of monetary reform. He spoke at annual conventions on the topic. I now have a copy of “Fifty Years In The Furnace” and must tell you most of my earlier statements were only generally correct. For instance, he was not in jail in Calgary, but in a state prison in some place called Bowden, where he was the only inmate over 30. The picture is from the book, but contained no source information.
           In 1988 Revenue Canada allowed him to return to Canada to visit his dying wife, then arrested him at her bedside and made him wear handcuffs to the funeral. As I observed before, never go to court in Canada when the only witnesses against you are the police. There was a newspaper article, also in 1988, that pointed out, “If Meyers had merely raped and murdered he’d be free.”
           The first half of the book is an account of his upbringing on the western Canadian prairie in the years before phones, radio and electricity. His writing style is not that expressive and when he writes about intangible things, his sentence gravity varies wildly. He makes his point, I’m just saying I noticed these foibles, for if you speak like that in a courtroom, a lawyer will make mincemeat out of you.

           Wouldn’t you know it? Just after I get settled in here, Enrique drives up and accepts my original offer for his mobile home for $1,000. It is a two bedroom, and the lot rent is $60 less than here. I happen to know he has a brand new water heater, ahem. Back when I was buying, he wanted $4,800 which I knew he would not get. Now, after I bought and incurred the expense of moving, he accepts my offer.
           But all is not lost. Dave-O might be interested. He did not know he could set himself up comfortably until he saw this place. He says his settlement is due or even overdue. Man, if Enrique had just made up his mind couple months earlier I’d be up two thousand bucks. Now it is money under the Kenora bridge. He also wants to sell his truck for $500. Now that is a good deal, I borrowed that truck to move and it is in primo condition.
           It’s a good thing I cooked up and froze enough chow for a week, the hot weather has arrived early. By 10:00 PM in the morning it was 90 degrees inside and life moved into the Florida room. This sweltering summer heat is not, to my knowledge, mentioned in any Florida state advertisements or tourist material. Do not visit Florida in the hot season. And it’s only April.

           I got out and shopped for a printer. It is an inescapable fact that America’s infrastructure was based around passing the costs on to others, in this case the automobile. I could not have done what I did today without the scooter. I put 15 miles on it just doing nothing. A printer for me is a big consideration and I see some features have changed.
           Most printers are now wireless, with a wired model costing as much as $50 more. That’s another scam, as a USB connection does not cost anything like that amount to add in. I’ll never get another Brother. Lexmark tends to complete stop working after around 3,000 prints. Epson requires a $45 gadget to refill the cartridges. HP puts spyware and monstrous registry files on your computer. None of the above clear the print buffer on command. All of them overcharge for print cartridges and start up slowly.
           Careful comparison brings me back to a Canon, generally a good brand. The AIO (All-In-One) represents an investment of $129 for the printer and $57 for the cartridges. This means first I sacrifice the old Brother, taking it apart to see if I cannot bypass or trick the ink sensors. I accuse Brother of anti-competitive practices with their ink cartridge policies. Where do I get $190? Taking stock, I see that I do not use the wagon very much. I could get $200 for that.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++