Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, April 16, 2011

April 16, 2011


           Here’s a photo of the neighbor pulling out of the lot next door with his $410,000 motor home. He could have asked me to help, but I was taking an afternoon nap. I never heard a thing until too late. Instead, he got his woman to guide his path. Big mistake. Read on.
           Her priority was that little half-rat poodle cradled in her loving arms. “Don’t you worry, Fifi, that big scary man is not going to drive over you in his trailer, wuv you, wuv you, wuv you.” She was shielding the dog’s head instead of watching the vehicle, actually waving her hand in a most unnatural manner as one pretending to help without doing so.

           I heard the scrunch. By the time I ran out there to stop him, he had peeled off a his dome air conditioner on a tree branch, shaved off several inches of the office carport (shown here) and dragged the entire neighborhood’s cable TV drop wires some 60 feet down the roadway.
           She was standing just to the left, she had stopped following him so she could keep her precious doggie in the shade and he clipped the building. She had this quizzical look on her face wondering why he was dragging all those wires along. At $8,500 damage in a minute, it’s a miracle little Fifi survived the ordeal. Poor, poor little Fifi must have been scared half to death, the way that man started shouting.
           What’s this? The average house price in the USA has dropped $26,000 in a year. Isn’t that roughly equal to most people’s mortgage payments? Another coincidence? I can’t tell you what to invest in, but I can tell you the traditional avenues won’t work. That’s stocks, bonds, real estate, all kaput. Actually, I got out of bonds back in 1985 when I calculated that after inflation and taxes, you got nowhere. I also noticed the same about real estate in 1987.

           [Author’s note: here’s a reminder about JP’s sister, who used to brag in 2007 that her $200,000 house purchased in 1996 was now worth $400,000. My calculations are that she made 120 mortgage payments of $1,879.94 totaling $225,593.11, plus paid taxes of $7,500 per year totaling $75,000. That means by 2007, she had paid out $300,493.11 and still owed $100,000 on that house. By my calculations, she lost $493.11. And 90% of the working class in this country is headed for the same fate. And I first said all this back in 1987.]

           Here’s some information. I’ve been experimenting with olive oil and decided it is just too expensive for general use. I’ve also discovered other characteristics which I’ll describe, since they aren’t exactly listed in the cookbook. The oil is light, more of it will absorb into what you are cooking. My guess is almost twice the quantity of corn oil. I don’t use oil that often, so I store it in the freezer to notice that olive oil freezes very easily and takes longer to thaw.
           The next trial will involve canola (rapeseed) oil. (Rape is the core Latin word for “turnip”.) I’ve noticed a product on the shelf that is a mixture of olive and canola. I’ll eventually choose a replacement, hopefully somebody finds this informative. At least I’ve gone from merely changing my diet to finally looking closely at the ingredients I cook with. And, it was the most exciting thing that happened so far today.

           Oooohhh, what do I find out about canola oil? It is a contraction for “Canadian Oil Low Acid”. It is “considered safe”. It has a “reputation” for being healthy based on the theory that absence of saturated fats doesn’t cause heart disease. Are you reading what I’m reading: Canadian? Considered? Reputation? Theory? These words are all abstracts. I think I’ll move on to the next cooking product on my list, pending a little more verification and fact, there Ottawa.
           From what we hear, the same Queen’s Justice means the absence of a law doesn’t necessarily make you innocent. Meanwhile, Mr. Minister of Justice, shouldn’t you be calling it Revcanol for “Revenue Canada Oil”? You know, the brand you used on Charles Vernon Meyers.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++