Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

July 5, 2011


           This isn’t a picture about the empty roads in Florida. It is a random shot of people waiting for the 8:00 AM bus on Sheridan St. But yeah, you can draw your own inferences since it is the middle of rush hour. Question: when there is no traffic choking the roads, how come the bus is still ten minutes late and pulls away from the transfer point just as you get there? Oh, I forgot. Silly me, this is Florida.
           There is nothing to report today. I had no gumption. I left it all behind in the 80s with fifteen other words that show my age. I did start the scooter and went uptown to withdraw the rent so for exciting, try playing a few songs in your head. This was a seriously nothing day.

           Wait, I did accomplish something. I took all the transformers out of the storage drawer and tested the actual voltages. How’s that for excitement? I was actually trying to power up a Visioneer scanner, the company that uses every Windows release to quit supplying drivers for their legacy products. Dang, now I trash a scanner that was used maybe fifty times. Worse, two of the transformers also went dead doing nothing.
           Well, okay. I did make chicken soup, a pot roast, lots of coffee and brought home the groceries. I know people that would consider the last item a full day’s effort. Remind me to get some thread and bobbins to practice on the new sewing machine. I used to see all that at the dollar store but they quit carrying it now that I need some. So I made iced tea, another thing I do on super-hot days. All other energy got sapped by the big ball of fire in the sky.

           One thing that can really discourage beginners of any subject is strange charts. People who write about electronics love their graphs, sine waves and logarithms more than everybody else put together. Yet we all know somebody who is an electronics whiz that can build anything without consulting a chart. The problem is, those guys don’t write the books. My estimate of reading effectiveness is currently around 60:1. I have to read 60 sentences to find one that contains useful information.
           I’m relearning the process of buying silver. Never buy early in the week. Price was up a dollar (per oz) since Friday. I like this type of investing as an indicator of how things have changed since January. Things are progressing again, faster than I let on. If I step on something in the carpet, it is more likely to be a transistor than a beer cap.

           Last, I took a breeze through the job offerings on-line. What a joke, it’s like the whole working class of America has been reduced to cubicle mind rats. The pyramid scheme that passed for a wage structure since 1950 is now totally corrupted. I continually can find “accounting” jobs paying minimum wage that demand qualifications which ten years ago were not their damn business. (Like a clean driver’s license and a good credit score.) There's more employment agencies than jobs out there.
           My opinion of AARP has not changed since our run-in several years back. They wanted my resume before they told me what jobs were available. I wanted to know what jobs were available before I divulged my resume. They were horrified that anyone would dare question their shady operations. Today, every other ad in the media seems to be theirs.
           I remind the reader that I view the AARP “enrollment” process nothing but a sucker’s trap to get private information on older people whose private lives may have slipped past the searchable database expansion of the 90s. I know countless people who let their lives get profiled that now regret it but won’t admit they were the fools that allowed it. Did you know that 24% of Americans are not on any Internet database? That’s a huge chunk of the country considering I think most of them are there, but wisely using aliases.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++