Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

July 6, 2011


           Here’s a little guy who found himself a private sunbath. Inside my kitchen light. He’ll soon leave, there isn’t much food in there. To those unfamiliar with these lizards, they don’t bite. Like Internet privacy policies, they have no teeth.
           Still thinking of opening a hot dog stand? In Central Park, New York, you’d have to purchase an existing license at an annual cost of $175,000, according to Now I Know . Some food tastes better under the table. I learned this researching why MacDonald’s doesn’t serve hot dogs. What? Oh, because they could not control what was used for ingredients. MacDonald’s food is real, they just process it funny.

           I need a new scanner, therefore I am about to leave for Nob Hill Road and Broward up in Ft. Lauderdale. This would normally be a major trip through the city. Today I’m going to record the mileage and average speed of the round trip. You see, I feel that, like the honey bee die-off, the lack of traffic is a far deeper indicator of the true depth of the recession. The media keeps declaring “all is well”, so let’s us trust our eyes today.
           The trip was 43.9 miles and took 74.9 minutes. More interesting was the guy selling out [computer gear]. He was an out-of-work computer tech, fancy that. Computerwise, he was the spirit and image of myself minus 15 years. I knew I was caught up in computers much too late, this guy discovered it by attrition somewhat too late but the other way around. Admire his resolve. The average speed this trip was 31.9 mph, unheard of in this city.
           For the small world theorists, he was also the partner of that Nigerian guy who ran the Internet cafe across from the Ramada Plaza. You remember Joe, he helped me connect the original router at the shop? I remarked here but back then about the cable vault at that cafĂ© and it turns out it they did have a T1 span in there. Massive overkill. Anyway, the new guy was unaware of the rumor that Joe had been the victim of a check fraudster and he says Joe just decided to move away. Rather quickly.

           I stopped afterward at “The Big Easy”, the club suggested by Ray-B. I was not impressed. The band was bored beyond any words of mine and the valet bum objected when I took his picture for not allowing me to park a scooter. “Cars only.” And yes, anybody who takes a job as a valet is, in my books, a bum. It is a public street and I automatically snap a photo of anything I don’t like. Note all the empty parking shown here, and the white-shirted bum ducking for cover when he saw my camera.
           I mentioned this to the manager whose answer did nothing but confirm, to me at least, the place is being run by Russian mafia. High prices, old waitresses (guys, when 28 looks young, you’re old) and minimal atmosphere. By that, I usually mean only middle-aged male patrons in the joint, propping up the bar. Not the place for a country band. I toured the street and I prefer the beachfront. There is something unwelcoming about downtown that I can’t quite define. Maybe something to do with all the clubs being owned by people with funny last names.

           The weather, and since I don’t rely on TV and the papers for it, I can get caught in the rain. It is mid-summer and this week is making up for all the sunny days since May. It has been raining steady for 42 hours, alternating between sprinkles and downpour. That’s okay, I’m snug here and my ceiling tiles aren’t falling in from neglect. Another thing that’s built up here since March is hurricane supplies.
           Have you seen the new angle on Sesame Street? Henson must be rolling over in his grave. The original Muppets were raunchy humor, now the theme is how to welcome daddy home from the war. (First of all, we should not be sending married people or parents into combat, so don’t even start with me on that one.) They tell children daddy is away doing “grown-up work”. One day archaeologists will marvel at our warrior cult and consider us bone-in-the-nose savages. The first empire built on credit that spent itself out of existence one war at a time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++