Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, August 4, 2011

August 4, 2011


           Remember Trader John's, the used bookstore used to be on Hollywood? I followed their moves to Federal, over to Tyler, then out to near Barry U. They are closed up again. They seem to have a formula that only worked well in the original location. That's at least three moves in two years and no word if they have still another new address. It may be time to stop monitoring their whereabouts even if they surface again.
           Speaking of surfacing, have you seen the new "drug subs"? More correctly, they are semi-submersibles. They slink along a few feet below the waves with just the conning tower showing above the wave tops. The payload is $200 million in cocaine, making these reputed million-dollar rigs quite cost effective. If detected, the crews jettison the load and scuttle the boat. They were formerly a feature of the Pacific side but one has now been captured in the Caribbean. No word on how many are getting through.

           News: the new supercomputer had a faulty motherboard. Worse, that particular make and model is no longer in production, meaning a complete upgrade to my entire home system is needed to become compatible with Windows Vista/7 junkware.
           I also note that NASA is embarking on yet another waste of good money - sending a robotic probe to Jupiter. This five-year long "Juno" mission is useless, to "help" scientists understand the origin of the solar system. What crap is that? We need to get on with the Mars mission, something that will potentially do some good now. You'd think NASA learned after the Shuttle fiasco (it was supposed to reduce costs but wound up costing more per launch than the disposable Saturn V's it replaced). I have no doubt NASA will try to popularize the first Mars crew to include single mothers, white Hispanics, serial divorcees, and welfare recipients. It is very important to represent the minorities of our society as the new norm, lest they squawk. Can't have that, you know.

           Another eight hours of Arduino shows that I may have alread covered every command and feature. Care, I did not say it was mastered. But C language links to other languages and scripts must still be learned separately. I'm saying the rate at which I am reading about new and unfamiliar parts of the Arduino has tapered off to nothing.
           Excuse these lengthy posts, these blogs were written in two stages. This is due to the demise of the new supercomputer. Despite the claim up to six hard drives could be connected, there is some bad BIOS instructions, or more accurately, miscommunication with the motherboard and the system won’t recognize more than one drive. It has been computer centuries since I kept important data on my boot hard drive.
           A got a response from my ad for a rhythm guitarist, although it was from a keyboard player. My ad specifically says no keyboards, but I heard him out. I’m wary of piano players for good reason. Foremost is they can do a solo act which is a natural source of conflict. I also find almost every e-piano setting, possibly excepting the grand piano effect, sounds fake to my ear. Another thing is the player can’t move around much on stage, which is a part of my show. But times are bad, so I drove out there and jammed.
           Whereas we played well, I picked up on enough other warning signals to remain uncommitted. I’m not saying no, I’m saying keys are familiar territory to me and I know when somebody can’t manually play the built-in rhythms called auto-chords. They usually cannot syncopate the built-in drummer or stop on queue either. Worst, keyboard player’s taste in music can be weirder than a self-loving guitarist. Wait. There is something worse. That's a keyboard player who can only play guitar accompaniment patterns.