Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, October 6, 2011

October 6, 2011

           This, for those who’ve never seen them in bulk, is a strip of resistors. This is a 30-pack, you can get any length. That’s the most interesting photo I’ve got, peeps. The rustic background is a weathered picnic bench of indeterminate origin. Thanks to the club, there is never nothing to do, even when flat busted broke. It turns out my digital meter can’t read above 2 Megas, which are the range needed for common sized of capacitors. Q11, our member from Singapore, reports he can get all the supplies he needs within walking distance on his noon break.
           I just heard Steve Jobs is dead at 56. The co-founder of Apple computers got started a few miles and two short years away from where Rusty and I used to labor in the orchards. It remains a mystery to me how Jobs knew what people wanted and how to build it much less how he found money, encouragement and lack of interference to get started. I can’t even figure how he knew what wasn’t out there because Yakima is in the middle of nowhere. He’s not my hero, but I admire what he did: got rich young and coasted on it the rest of his life. Was even heralded an innovator for doing what comes naturally to billionaires—talking an awful lot.
           There is another eviction notice on the old place. If Wallace had kept his word instead of listening to crazy Patsy, he would today have a free place with a new roof and central air conditioning. Since he has no money, we’ll conclude she is paying the bills, which is only right because from what I hear, it is her “ensuite”. The Wallace Rule: Family first, Word of Honor second. My offer to buy the place stands, but at half what I offered last time.
           What’s with all the questions about MicroSoft? I’m just reading the book again, not reopening the case. My personal feelings are that MicroSoft certainly engaged in suppression of trade. Try getting rid of that Windows splash screen every time you log on. Why don’t my old drivers work on Vista? The hard part for most people to understand is that corporate lying and cheating are okay—unless you are a monopoly.
           An operating system should be in the background, a bit player, sort of like I view the correct role of a guitarist. But when user software (see your Accessories folder) is bundled with the operating system, it gains an immediate advantage. Netscape and countless small companies are memories not because they sold bad products, but because MicroSoft used Windows to give away comparable products for free. I wonder what marvels would be on the market today if Windows had remained transparent like a good operating system should.
           The nasty part was when MicroSoft began altering Windows to “prefer” its own software (Word, Excel, Internet Explorer) and introduced glitches that caused competing products to malfunction (like Lotus 1-2-3). MicroSoft uses Windows as a “barrier to entry” by withholding key information, usually just before the crucial Xmas sales season. MicroSoft traditionally comes clean after the competition declares bankruptcy.
           The book is also a revelation of things wrong with the justice system. The Federal victim-choosing process is sordid to the core; it is the sick man of American law. We hope that justice springs from truth and evidence, but they don’t call it courtroom drama for nothing. Verdicts are regularly determined by dress codes, club affiliations, and whether you can stomach looking some ugly old judge in the eye.
           When you are hauled on the carpet, make sure your lawyer isn’t “too tall”, his head doesn’t “bobble”, and that his wife is “famous in Bedford, New York, for the quality of the English flower, vegetable, water, and rock gardens she tends, each set off by formal squares and paths”. You think I’m making this up? It’s on page 65. I advise all executives to take acting lessons because you never know when you’ll have to simulate being “humble enough” to satisfy a bureaucrat. T’ain’t easy.
           My September brochure was apparently an instant success and the church bingo is on for the 28th, down in Miami. I got the confirmation call this morning and sample brochures will arrive this week. The show only covers my expenses but the future of these things is determined by word of mouth and money of fist. Bingo will be profitable and they will notice.
           Why is it so surprising I’ve not been in Dallas in 25 years? I have not worn blue jeans for 7 years, I haven’t been in a liquor store save to buy cooking supplies in 20 years and except for once in Hawaii and once with JP, I’ve never been in a strip joint period. I have no concept of paying women to take their clothes off, others experience may differ. One man’s priorities are another man’s waste of time. Cooking supplies at the liquor store? Real rum vs. artificial flavoring. The real rum tastes better, is lower in cost, and contains less alcohol. I said that years ago.
           Message to the world: Do not call me if you are in jail or an emergency room. I’m not making a suggestion; do this once and you will never get my phone number again. I have strong and valid reasons that are not anyone’s business why I will not accept calls from those locations, particularly cell phone calls. You done been told.