Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, March 1, 2012

March 1, 2012


           Thumbs down. I’ve decided against publishing the Leap Year Report. But for a consolation prize, here is the graph that would have been the hub of that publication. This is a graph of expenses. It tells you nothing unless you know the details, several of which I will point out to pick a fight. Point A is where Wallace and the Witch launched their attack, the same month I lost my nice part time job. Kings throughout history will verify the peasants instinctually sense when they can cause the most trouble.
           Point B was my recovery from the attack. And C shows the smoothing effect of my long-range budget. The pink line is a moving average. The dip between A and B shows me what a fool I was to ever trust those two dirty sneaks. C shows they had no permanent effect on any thing except their already unspeakable reputations around here.
           If audience reaction is the indicator, the song I wrote in a half-hour last week is a winner. A couple up at the club deny I could have written it that fast, words and music. Let’s put it to the test. Careful here, don’t get caught by the trick question. We all hate jerks who judge others by their own limitations. Since I regularly judge others by my limitations, does that make me a jerk? If you said yes, ha—gotcha! You are the jerk because you judged “my limitations” to be your own. My limitations are probably not measurable on any scale owned by the sort of person who calls me down. That was too easy. And perfectly circular, too.

           Here’s a photo of the recording studio Trent and I are developing in the practice shack. Much of the gear is so new, I can’t yet operate it. Today we recorded the melody and guitar. Note the voice processor for the Rode microphone. Eight hundred dollars just to get clear vocals. That raises another question. Which is the better indicator of how things are going? The graph above or the photo here?
           The most serious piece of equipment is the CD burner shown in the lower right corner. It is a Tascam Masterlink, a device which takes analog input and digitalizes an entire audio CD (Red Book) on its internal hard drive. Then produces a master copy meant to be duplicated by computer. It contains digital processing systems not usually found on internal burners so I’m reading the 44 page operator’s manual.

           Our planning meeting was at Senor Café. Trent’s treat. I have not been in the café side since the time Wallace and I checked out the breakfast special. The quality is top-notch, that restaurant is a local success story. I went for the buffet once I noticed the portions were carved to compliment those of us on a diet. After this meal, I declare it is one of the better places in town. But you pretty much have to speak Spanish, which Trent does rather flawlessly.
           The level of activity burned me out enough to miss two Karaoke shows tonight where I probably would have taken the prize. There is somewhat of a chance if I don’t pick up by tomorrow, the Friday gig may get truncated. If you must know, the signs are identical to my symptoms whenever I tried to return to work. But now I know my limits.
           Jones of the Monkees died y’day. One of my early heroes, he started as a child actor. Strange how it took me a lifetime to get to the point I could sit around all day playing music. I wonder what I might have done with a head start like he had? It’s no obsession, but one of those things I ponder at times. He died of a heart attack. In Florida.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++