Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

February 29, 2012


           Originally I had planned to take the eBike up to Lake Worth. Take the mini-tour, have a coffee, see the ocean, hit on babes half my age. But when I pressed the fare button I was greeted by this. It’s now two years since I rode the train three times what I used to pay. And that’s for half the route, not from Miami. Business, government style. When revenue is down, raise the prices. I wondered why there were so few people in the station.
           A restful morning gets my old gray matter working overtime. That makes for a daily blog full of opinion and speculation, kind of like talking to a real person. I’ve decided I cannot ignore the warning signs of inflation. As early as June, I will begin holding at least some foreign cash. But which one? The only local market is the Canuck loonie—make sure you have a buyer before you make any investment!

           That was Wallace’s problem. The old property was not an investment, but a place to live. (But it was also an excellent flip, if done right.) The moment the genius Patsie convinced him it was an investment, they lost their shirts. No buyer, you czars of real estate, there is no buyer. Hoo-boy, some people are dumb. The rent sign is still in the window, the lights inside are burning up the electric, and the trees have been cut off at the waist. It’s been a year today and the relatives, ensuite or not, are nowhere to be found. Probably got too fat in the head to fit through the handicap door.
           Great news. I got news another of my childhood friends is a millionaire in the hardware business. My greatest career regret was not the 15 years at my corporate cubicle, but that I lost those 15 years of valuable experience at running my own shop. Meanwhile 26% of my acquaintances started their own businesses. Mike Z, wherever you are, congratulations. What’s more, I further missed on mingling with my own crowd while I had to work shifts at the phone place. Over time, that is what really hurt because I eventually lost all my music contacts as well. That was for most of the 1990s, I made new contacts when I arrived in Florida.

           Trivia. I didn’t know Hollywood (Florida) had 5,000 hotel rooms. Where? I can think of maybe 500. I found that statistic by looking for a “Country Western Dance” class. Found it for fifty bucks. Never you mind my motives, but they aren’t what you think. Hint, that’s one course nobody can take on-line. Am I right, or am I right? How do you think I’ll fare? If the instructor is a babe, do you think she’ll dance with me? I need the exercise. Dancing, I mean.
           Ah, the sharper reader thinks. Dance lessons are not on my budget, so what’s up? Well, the celebration is because Account 1020 is full again, finally after years of neglect. This means no matter what, I have enough cash socked away to get my ass back to Washington or Colorado and get set up. I’d starve, but I’d be home. So, I splurge the $50 for dance class. (It was canceled at the last minute for lack of enrollment.

           Who should I run into but Bob from the old shop? He took some line dancing for $5 over on Tyler and didn’t understand why I’d spend ten times that. Well, Bob, you dance with grandmothers. I dance at Nova. Then I stopped at the shoemaker, Alfredo is off for a few days. News is his house in Peru has fallen considerably in value and he can’t sell it. Sounds familiar. Silver is hovering at $35.
           Boris, the Russian, once invested in gold, back when he lived in New York. He found out the hard way when you go to sell, there is no rule the buyer has to pay spot price. There can be a hefty commission on the larger transactions, as in 20%. You lose two grand on a ten grand sale. More if you have to sell.
           Those around a while will remember seeing the introverted style of blogs like today’s. I have to keep all physical exertion low key for a few days like I did five years ago. If you drop back then you’ll see month-long periods where I don’t take much notice of the outside world. That won’t happen now, but I need maybe two to ten days of peace and quiet. And I need it starting immediately. Watch for a pending trip.
           I’m still at odds whether to publish the 4 year review (The Leap Year Report). It contains information about finances and relationships, and the past 4 years have not been kind to me in those regards. Strange how these things go in pairs, isn’t it? I think because I was broke after the heart attack, I only met weak-minded women for six years. I never bought any new clothes, or took a real holiday, or went to an art show. There is a direct correlation for me in quality and travel. (In the end, I decided not to publish the review, just comment on it.)

ADDENDUM
           I tend not to fall in love with women who can’t even manage to get along with me. Pay your bills, keep your promises, and ladies, I am the easiest guy in the world to live with. Nobody asked you to love me or even like me, but if you can’t get along with me you must be crazy.
           My ticker is putting the brakes on everything except tea and cookies, so that’s what I did today, except for no train ride. I’m not forgetting five years ago I had to gauge the “energy equivalent” of every activity before proceeding. Do I sweep the floor or take out the trash? It was one or the other. Then, when I gain just enough strength to make a little money in 2009-2010, some dumb broad complains the bathtub enamel isn’t spotless.
           Sigh.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++