Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, March 23, 2012

March 23, 2012


           Waking up feeling fine today. I stayed close to home and quiet. I’ve learned. This is a fine depiction of bachelorhood, JZ with his jaws stitched up and me watching Troy battle scene reruns. We’ve had awful luck with women lately. Did you know his brother was on national TV ten years ago? That’s right, Dr. Tom was on a talk show where they blasted white women. Women have no family values, no traditional morals, and use the legal system to get men’s money. I’ve not seen the video, but it sounds like a long-winded version of what I said when I was sixteen, “Just pick the pretty one.”
           Here’s a sad photo from last Sunday. The house on Arvida is still kept up by the staff. Everywhere you look, there is treasure like this silver. I actually missed being there with JZ because of a phone call. It was agreed first come first serve, and I let my buddy down because I had to keep my word to some lady who didn’t even appreciate it.

           It wasn’t a grab-fest, don’t get that idea. All the major assets were in the will. But look at these leftovers. Nobody wants these beautiful things to just sell with the house. There were 13 bronze statues worth 20 large each. We spent the afternoon going through cabinets and storage spaces. We even found an 80-year-old bottle of cognac. (Or was it 60 year-old?) After a few nice sips, nobody wanted more, so down the drain it went.
           How about some deductive reasoning? Early this morning, some space cadet type comes into the bakery. Spends the first two minutes doing the Jimmy Olsen with the staff. Is this your only location? Are you the owner? Where are you from? And a rather surprising are you Jewish? He downs his coffee too fast, and leaves asking if they have a menu. Hmmm. Hack reporter? The low end suspicion is that he is the dork (Stuart) who got blistered by my review. Keep ‘em peeled, he’s up to something.

           One thing, after my article nobody can easily criticize the bakery over their own personal dislikes without coming across as a cultureless freak. The bar has been raised. Oh yeah, my Hungarian aerobics lady has gone gopher. Disappeared, not answering anybody. That spells another dork boyfriend and you know how chary I am about women over 24 who attract losers. If they haven’t learned by that age, they seem impossible to change. I’m talking big picture, not the rare exclusions like the one I seek.
           Education. Prices up, quality down. The news today is that student loan debt is now larger than credit card debt. A trillion, and that’s an unbelievable amount of cash. Will college grads collectively make enough to ever pay that back in a lifetime? My own education cost $48,000 pre-1991 dollars. Was my income higher? In one sense it got me into a well-paying corporate job. In another sense, the job only required high school until 1986. And that job prevented me from using my education while young enough to compete with it.

           That was Mike on the phone, he wants six bass and drum tracks cut, so I’m negotiation some harmonica lessons and a harmonica track on “Debbie”. That’s on for middle of next week. Pat-B got the same corporate affliction I used to, you finish work Friday after what should have been an easy week, and you are exhausted. I know now it was stress. We talked for an hour, he’s up to inventing a guitar lick for the same tune.
           America has celebrity bloat. Too damn many stars to keep track of. I knew it had to happen, but magazines are beginning to print unretouched photos of middle-aged women, warts and all. The last thing we need is glamorizing that look. Unfortunately, housewives are cheap, plentiful, and believe their own hype. Once it begins, it will be like trying to avoid street beggars, Cuban rights activists, and junk mail. My favorite recent old-broad put down: “Lady, if you ate some of that makeup, maybe you’d be pretty on the inside, too.”
           Curry, that spice you can love or hate, is a powdered mixture. If you have “wet” curry, it is mixed with other ingredients. Today’s trivia is I found that before curry was westernized by the English, its primary use was to disguise the flavor of slightly rotting food. It is not alone in this role but still. And I like curried peas.