Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, March 24, 2012

March 24, 2012


           Here’s your $7.50 can of corned beef. Technically this is not the most it ever cost. That’s another food item off most senior’s menus, not that seniors are in any way responsible of the inflation, complacency, the real estate crisis, and bad politics of the previous 40 years. You know, I’ve been meaning to tell you about a new money index that I’m finding more accurate than simply comparing inflation rates. It is called the Economic Index. It compares the amount of hard cash it takes today to have the same “influence” on the GDP.
           If I remained at the phone place, I would have to be making $104,000 per year today as when I left, which is about the right base pay for what I actually did. With the customary overtime, my income was obscene. Remember, I mainly worked there for the benefits and generous time off. By this money scale, my cheap-ass parents who wouldn’t send me college money were making $22,200 per month. Per month.

           On mentioning diets, raw fish is important. And I don’t mean tuna and sushi, but a daily complete serving. Americans don’t generally consume raw fish, that’s the reason the salt is iodized. I eat raw (canned) fish regularly. You should be aware of parasites. All adult wild animals have parasites, and you are eating them raw as well. It’s rumored the infection rate of domestic animals is 80%, so don’t be shocked. Just be informed.
           E24, our club member from Palm Beach, has dropped out of school and gotten married. The good news is that he is donating all his textbooks to the cause, and I will drive up to City Place tomorrow to finally meet in person. He’d like to begin an electronic hackerspace but my experience declares there are not enough intelligent, reliable people in the entire State of Florida to make it go. And Palm Beach is 64 miles from here by the coastal road.

           Are we still following real estate? Good, you know that area on Polk where Jack, the guy who takes racehorse blood samples lives? Nice area. I threw in a bid of $60k on a, get this, 7 bedroom 4 bathroom monstrosity and, subject to financing, it is mine. But there never will be any financing. The bid was to test the water, and a good indication of the bargains soon to be found (in my opinion) as reality penetrates a few more skulls.
           Let’s spreadsheet that. That’s 120 payments of $636.39 if I lived in all seven bedrooms by myself. Of course, if Wallace had been listening instead of talking, the payments would be $445.48 monthly, with a surplus income of around $2,000 to keep him busy around town. I was looking because I’ve identified a four-day stretch in April where it is yet still possible to defeat my recent financial doldrums. And there is a three bedroom in Highland Garden I could buy for a less than I’m already paying rent here.

           Bingo is slowly growing again as the Moose crowd returns. Cowboy Mike gave me the wrong address to his gig, so I wasted a trip out of 441 and Johnson after hours. I checked out the “Native” club on Hollywood and balked at the ten dollar cover charge in that part of town. The scorching hot weather is due because all the Frenchies left town this week.
           Singapore has confirmed that every possible logic gate known, barring needless complexity, can be duplicated with programming code. While I can code, I feel like I just attended a college course. Where I can pass the exam, but the college never showed one practical way any of this could be used. If this code can be written, why are there still thousands of logic gate chips on the market?
           Trivia. Kittens who have never seen their mother kill a rat will almost never kill one themselves.