Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

March 28, 2012


           Here’s a scan of Howard’s book, it isn’t family reading. It centers on tourist life and sleazy women in the Dominican Republic. Have I uploaded this photo before? I don’t know, see, this blog has become far too large to monitor that kind of thing. It wouldn’t be odd for the same topic to fade in and out of focus innumerable times, just like real life.
           The book is 80% dialog and situations I don’t identify with, so I’m curious how I’ll be able to proofread the next work. Remember, you’re talking to a guy who’s never visited a stripper bar or hired a woman. Well, I’ve bought dinner, but for the food, not as a business transaction. Like, how could a woman be perfect if she’s a whore? But, I follow that the majority of men probably think such things are possible. It’s part of what makes them the majority, see.

           Publishing. Howard needs an editor, not just a proofreader. More than spelling and grammar, he wants the work edited for flow and logic. Um, that’s called co-authoring, there dude. I’ve read a few chapters already but Broward is not the place to be looking for literature experts. In Florida, skilled labor means drywall contractor and even then only if you speak Spanish.
           We also talked about publicity. I’m not the guy to ask, since I’ve never published anything in my own name. I want to, but will people get confused, the John Cougar type confusion. Myself, I would just advertise, which I intend to do, but if that doesn’t work, I’ll give up and adopt my pseudonyms. I’m not hung up on my name plastered everywhere since I don’t associate that with fame. But I did say if I was not famous by 2012, I would begin using my real name even if it draws flak. But by 2012, do I care?

           My favorite newspaper, which is not to say it is a good newspaper, is the Miami Herald. That’s because the second choice is the gag-me-with-a-spoon Sun. I wanted to say that the sports section is very important to me. Even before I sit down, you’ll see me pull out the sports. I carefully spread the section over the chair so I won’t get my trousers damp or dusty. Then I sit down.
           Which I had to do, as I’m recovering from a minor procedure. Actually, I recovered so quickly, I was home this morning. I took it easy even though I’m fine, and worked crossword. I’m sure everybody else’s AM was far more exciting than mine, but I’ll have you know I’m waiting my turn. I took to the easy chair and made cream of chicken soup, the kind with celery. I stayed off my feet as long as I could, but that gets boring.

           From there, over to Cowboy Mike’s. He’s got some gigs in small pubs I’ve never heard of. The backing tracks he’s got are not the versions he likes, so I was there for three hours to record the drum and bass tracks. I’m exhausted, never underestimate this kind of work, or that I dislike studio recording. Today’s tracks are done done, I had him play and sing along while in session, so he’s happy. It’s an older blues mix for an older crowd.
           These recordings were made on the Tascam. I don’t like how it lacks individual channel mixer controls, but it certainly has an excellent playback tone. Mike says I can borrow it, but such devices take (I think) so much time to learn, I should get my own before committing to any serious composition. Let’s wait and see how he does with his tracks. He was quite happy with the results today.

           The few short hours on the music tuckered me out. That, and my natural inclination for a siesta when I make chicken soup, but check back later or tomorrow. Throw in some side effects from metoprolol (a blood pressure medication), and I’m crashing early. It lowers pressure, but also makes me short-tempered and dry-eyed. I suspect the temper may be triggered by a learned stress avoidance behavior rather than the chemical. I have reasons for staying off the phone.
           Last, although we’ve learned it by trial and error, and accepted it as fact for a long time, I point out that transistors work on current. Not voltage or power. It took 14 months to get a straight answer on this from the “experts”. That’s correct, 14 months.