Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, April 15, 2012

April 15, 2012


           The evening found me at Aventura Mall, my kind of place if a little on the side of ridiculous prices. Here is a juxtaposition of two products that I feel have a lot in common. Both are overpriced and reflect extremely poor taste. But Heinz is the more honest of the two, as shown here. And it costs $102,447.81 less. I could not find a cafĂ© with anything on my diet, so I went to the movies.

           It was time for another IMAX (there is no IMAX sign at Aventura, you’re supposed to know it is the AMC Theater). “Wrath of the Titans” is my fourth viewing and I see a disturbing trend in 3D. They are using the new technology to flood the market with weak plots and old themes. This one was the worn out reluctant hero premise, called out of retirement for that one last battle they can’t win without him. Ho-hum, and then some.

           But the movie is twice the value of “John Carter”, and the special effects are better, if mostly moving rocks. At least the babe is a blonde, I know a blonde when I see one, Rosamund Pike, even if she is 15 years too old for the role. So I can only imagine how my ex must feel. AMC has taken to overdoing the advertising trailers, a good twenty-five minutes before the movie starts. There were less than 30 people at the show, but what do you expect for $16 a head?
           Even when bingo is bad, I have a good weekend, and I would like to read some. I wound up reading a military treatise on classic military victories and there are so many definitions of classic. For example, I don’t count the Desert series of American wars as classic, as they involved overwhelming superiority. They knew that in advance, so the victory as not really the result of any quick thinking.

           One that perplexes me is the Six Day war back in 1967, in particular, Operation Focus. Except for Nassar, everyone involved denied (and denies to this day) the Israelis got any outside help. But the effective area of Israel at the time was what, 100,000 acres? About the size of a poor man’s Texas ranch. Where do you hide 800 tanks and 300 jet-powered airplanes? While the Israelis had a spy or agent in every known Egyptian headquarters, that still didn’t make the enemy blind and deaf. I for one don’t buy the official version.
           Don’t even think of going ranching in Texas. To any dreamers out there, here’s some cold facts. All the good land was gone by 1870. It costs millions to get profitable and you must start making a profit from year one or die. Although there are successful 640 acre ranches, the size needed for a cattle operation seems to be a minimum of 2,000. You can’t afford it, don’t even ask. Because if you got that much money, you are way too smart to start farming.

           The Apple store has moved to the south end of the mall. It’s still your low-key no pressure type environment. But my computer requirements exceed the iPad, and the low end iMac is still $1,100. As ever with Apples, that's three times what I have to spend. I spent a half hour going over features on the iPad but the layout and keyboard are not what I need, certainly not for daily input and ease of use. You have to do a shift to get at the numbers, and you will notice in this post so far, I’ve used twelve numbers.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++