Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, April 8, 2012

April 9, 2012


           Since enough people were curious about what a bachelor has for Easter dinner, here’s a photo of my beer and cornflakes from y’day. See my one of a kind marble prep slab? Yeah, I stayed home. I also viewed a site of 100 top 2011 celebrities. I could not identify 40 of them. Even that is pushing it because I didn’t count the ones I’d only heard of. Like Kim Kardashian, whom I assume is known for doing something.
           Other’s I’ve somehow managed to live without are Randy Johnson, Ryan Seacrest, Snooki, Mia Hamm, Merv Albert, Derek Jeter, and Anderson Cooper. Honestly, I don’t know or care who these people are. That makes us even. Equally meaningless to me are Alton Brown, Katie Couric, Nancy Grace, Bar Refaeli, Ella McPherson, and Dita Von Teese. If I spelled any wrong, then maybe they ain’t famous enough yet or something.

           A morning callout made my week, though stay away, I’m still not back to norbal. I was working with Lance again, who is having his biography ghost written. As an ex-policeman, he’s got some tales. He was one of the first northerners to have a black partner and they once got busted and shook down by two crooked beat cops who didn’t know they were undercover. I’ll keep you up to date on that one.
           But I would remind everyone that that ALL good writing is skilled labor. The few who do it well are worth every penny they get paid. It takes years to hone a style and the most home-written manuscripts eventually require an uneconomical degree of proofreading. Like real estate, unless you are already high up in the field, stay out of it. Today I had to set up the security system for Lance. His wireless was unprotected and he had two anti-viruses trashing each other. I cracked his long since forgotten passwords in under ten minutes.

           One of the easiest computer hacking tools is to take note what is not allowed. Example, Magic Jack won’t let you use the same e-mail number for another account, no matter how long ago or far away you last used it. It dawned on me that some people have not yet clued in that an e-mail addy is another form of ID. It is unique on the Internet, a full record is kept of every usage, and it can be instantly traced back to where you are. God, some people are naïve.
           Gas has hit $7 per gallon in at least one state. Santa Catalina, CA, set the record. Trivia. There is no gas shortage. The US exports 203,500 barrels of it each day, but overall that’s not much. The plan appears to be conserving our own oil for future wars. And such. Oh, and watch for controls on money leaving the country any time now. There’s lots of food in Mexico and hunger is a great motivator.

           Here’s something else. There is a rising trend of students attending university for the same reason I did. Not to improve the world, or create something, and certainly not to get a job. I was there to learn how to work the system. Now everybody’s doing it. And it serves the system right. If you want to know where all the good jobs went, ask some middle class credit junkie who's still working at age 68. There’s your culprit. I was there and saw their complacency first hand. Now they want help from me? Let them eat home equity.
           My situation was that I quickly saw the main difference between me the poor kid and the rich kids was that their parents knew the system. I don’t need to repeat the infamous reaction of my parents when I suggested they declare my tuition off their taxes and return to me the difference. Those bohunks actually said even if such a thing “were legal”, they would have to keep the money to “start paying back what I owed [them] for raising me”. I hope you think that’s funny. I eventually burned those receipts.
           But I learned the system, for example, I’ve got twenty bucks says within three years we’ll see [Emma] Watson doffing it for Playboy. I don’t think that because she’s already going downhill faster than an over-insured bus, but because her parents are English lawyers, know what I’m sayin’? When she “decided” at the age of six to become an actress, her parents enrolled her in an acting school owned by Oxford University. And I’ll also bet they kept those receipts.

           Last, I was rejected on-line. Her ad caught my eye, it sounded different, more to the point, somebody who’d had it with society’s artificial norms and wanted a real man. Nope, it was Cinderella all over again. The man has to be two inches taller and two years older. She would not have lasted two weeks in my world, but could that woman write an ad! (Or as I now suspect, knew someone who did it for her.)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++