Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

April 10, 2012


           Newest weird phone app? It’s called “Girls Around Me” which conglomerates Internet data about women near the user's GPS location. And it's chock full of juicy information. Even the media describes it as “creepy”. Another victory for those who have nothing to hide, at least that's what they should be thinking. (Again, I would not object as much if it kept a record of who looked and informed the victim, or better yet, required the victim's permission.)
           Chinese scooters eat headlights. Last evening I bought the last three replacement bulbs in town. After that, including delivery, they start costing nearly twenty bucks apiece. They only last a couple of months max. The solution is that I am Secretary-Treasurer of the only real robotics club in the state, so all I need do is ask at the next meeting. The club will come up with good ideas five to eight times faster than, well if you must know, faster than most people who recognized the names in y’day’s post, ha!

           My old antagonist, Sony, is going kaput—and for the reasons I said they would twenty years ago. They’ve lost one hundred million times more money since 2004 than they could have spent making me happy. My beef? They lied to me. Said a camera could not have a certain problem, when I showed them it did, they refused to fix things. That ruined my once-in-a-lifetime Angel Falls videos, but my real grudge is over photocopies of a missing user manual. They charged me $1 per page, $40 total. For eighteen pages in English and twenty-two pages in French. If they implode, I like to think I had a part in it.
Florida Zillow Home Value Index

           A glance at the real estate market shows an average of 40,000 repossessed homes in each state, with the number climbing hourly. I say again, a nice house in Florida, unless in an exclusive gated beachfront zone, is never worth more than $76,000, with prices centering around $60,000. If you pay more, the value isn’t there and you’ll go blue in the face trying to tell the smart money otherwise. The worst location is Orlando, a featureless swamp above the frost line whose sole profitable industry is Disneyworld and they’re probably jiving too.
           There are currently 644 houses for sale in Hollywood, FL (the nearest market to where I’m staying right now). It’s probably five times as many but shhh, that’s a secret. I’ve noticed another trend of houses being taken off the market a few months and repackaged as newly listed. My decision is the same, wait for the coming real collapse.
           Today’s trivia. It is impossible to dream of yourself sleeping. And less than trivia, MicroSoft has stated 2014 as the last support date for XP. Their mouthpiece says must “migrate” to the horrid System 7. Actually, their support sucks so bad some will rejoice when they quit. If you don’t believe how bad MicroSoft still is, try clicking their “End Process” button and watch what happens. Also, the constant release of “new” versions causes the supply of drivers for new hardware to dry up. MicroSoft has been releasing “fixes” for XP some 11 years. By 2014 I hope to have migrated to Apple.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++