Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, June 22, 2012

June 22, 2012

           Happy Barbarossa Day. Just kidding. That is the day Hitler invaded the Russia seventy years ago, after a fateful ten week delay while he overran the Balkans. And I want to talk about WWII. This photo is the first rocket powered fighter aircraft to fly, and it did so around a year earlier than the more famous German Komet. It is Russian (not Soviet), which you may have guessed from the skis. The skis under the plane, not the designers’ last names.
           Note the more conventional frame, and also how Russian aircraft tended to be smaller to start with. The pilot looks hunched down. Like many early designs, this aircraft was cancelled in favor of what could be mass produced with existing plant. I believe this rocket plane was called the BI. It never saw combat.
           Friday I stay home unless I’ve got a gig. I don’t. I’m re-reading Grisham’s “Rainmaker” and sipping tea. Except for a noon break at the bakery, I stayed inside watching the storm. And the new band never called back for the next practice. I’m old enough to know what that means.
           I toyed with the idea of Karoke again, but I have been doing the same ten songs for the last six months. Of course, I figured by now I’d be doing them in another town, but that was before I met that crooked lawyer up on Commercial. No action for me this month. I get to watch silver plunge, play music, and wonder what all those notices I get from Facebook mean in my e-mail. I use Facebook for amusement and am not really into it as a lifestyle.
           Now, for a moment, let’s look why silver might be falling when it should not be. The government has not brought out QE3, their policy of buying treasury bonds as discussed here a few days ago. That means there is less money floating around which causes lower demand and in turn prices will drop, particularly for non-essentials. Like silver. Is that what we are seeing here?
           I do know one thing, the government is terrified of deflation and I have no idea why. But it has something to do with people not spending money if they think prices are going to drop. Much like my position on real estate: who would borrow money to buy a house if it will cost less in a year? Less is sold, so less is produced, a situation economists call a “spiral”. But so what? That would only hurt the type of people who desperately need to be taught a lesson anyway.
           Most people know inflation is measured by the CPI (consumer price index), which by coincidence is published in the middle of next month. I’ve lost all faith in it because they keep adjusting the base year and changing the basket of goods. Myself, I’d have to see a long, slow downward trend in prices of essentials over a couple of years, before I would worry. I wrote extensively in the 90s about how credit distorted American life, about how few new houses and cars would be seen if people had to pay cash.
           I also published ePinion reviews of the Boss BR-600 and the Arduino, instantly garnering twelve “Very Helpful” ratings, the top they give. And four of those were from leads or advisors, if you know their system. That’s damn good but this does not translate into any real money. Plus, reviews can only be published for items on their list and it took a year for the Arduino to appear. (There is, technically, a higher rating, but it can only be given by company officers under special conditions.)
           The balance of today was spent writing. Face it, this blog is only a hobby, and one that doesn’t pay very well. Yet. After the recent ease which Professor Howard published his Kindle book, I can’t ignore the opportunity. Since I won’t commit to a full-fledged 400 page work, I’m eye-balling something along the lines of Grizzard and Barry, a type of “the truth can be funny” offering. The thing is, to write 64 pages of material with the same level of readability, it isn’t that easy.
           Here’s some inside information, no names mentioned. One of the inner circle over here is a major buyer for a very large chain of grocery stores in this part of the world. And she declares in her firm knowledge of the supply system that “people are not going to believe what’s about to happen to food prices”. No prices are discussed, but that’s where Professor Howard and I step in. We know damn well “people are not going to believe” bread for $10 per loaf. What’s so hard to figure?
           Furthermore, the Prof and I went over predictions to year-end 2012, and we conclude essentials will inflate, non-essentials will deflate. Silver drops in price because people need all their money for food. He has also received a new batch of information about e-book publishing and we meet next week to pore over that. The new software is so easy to use there is an impending sense something we author is going to connect.
           And the robot club has decided to continue meetings through the summer, if sporadically. When I first decided to try organizing a robotics club, I had cause to look at what already existed. We may not be the a fun and popular club, but compared to us the rest of Florida are gangs of rabble. The computer clubs are Facebook addicts, the social clubs are beneath dignity, and the sports clubs are synonymous with semi-literate beer drinking cliques. By comparison, we are an academic powerhouse. Look out world if we get anything off the ground since money is the only reason we have not yet.

ASIDE TO “ANONYMOUS” COMMENTERS:
           I read all comments but I am not organized to acknowledge or respond to anonymous e-mails. There is a possibility in the future I may accept advertising but there is no urgency over it, so please don’t offer unless you quote dollar amounts. Valid comments are kept on file but correspondence that contains even a single commercial link is deleted forthwith. As an exception to my rule of not publishing comments, I will quote below an item received y’day because it conveys the essence of 99.9% of what I find in my mailbox.
“You're so interesting! I don't believe I've truly read a single thing like this before. So great to find another person with unique thoughts on this topic. Really.. thank you for starting this up. This site is something that is required on the web, someone with a little originality!”

My determination is that this is a fake. My blog does not cover only a single topic, so the letter is generic. But I included it as an example because, like most authors, I vainly like to believe that at least some tiny part of my fan mail is genuine.


My Five Most Useful Degrees or Certificates
Associate, Military History
Bachelor of Education
Bachelor of Science, Computer Systems
Associate, Accounting
Masters, Business Administration