Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

October 30, 2012


           Here’s a lesson of what happens when you start off making standards too high. This is a repaired signal light with new pigtails. Once again the club workmanship is to an unnecessarily high standard. The original wiring on this socket came loose after 8,648 miles, the current reading on the red scooter. You can’t see but this is remade with silver solder joints, higher gauge wire, waterproof butt splices and shrink wrapped where it counts. This will now handily outlast the scooter by five times.
           For those keeping tabs on the scooter, it now has the following new parts. Battery, starter, forks, tires, clutch flywheel, drive belt, headlight, tail light, license plate lamp, turn signals, microswitches, brake pads, tail pipe brackets, kick start lever, and hydraulic plugs. Modifications include an extra tail light and a turn signal buzzer. These amount to around two-thirds the cost of a new scooter.

           Yep, Sandy the Stealth Hurricane, crept right up on the Atlantic northeast, catching them completely off guard. They were busy texting and didn’t hear the weather report, so my theory goes. What gets me is how the president always waits until after the storms hit to declare New York a disaster zone. Hell, I knew that when I was growing up in the prairies. The first generation builds, the second goes to college, the third and onwards turn to politics to protect the wealth they inherited.
           At least that’s how it is supposed to go in good families. This blog is the most enduring thing anyone in my family has ever produced. Bad families not only fail to produce, they destroy. How about the ship that sank in the hurricane.? It’s ironic the ship was the “Bounty”, built for the movie in 1962. And proving society still retains a surplus of irresponsible sea captains who will take a sailing ship into a deadly storm. He’s gone missing, by the way. Not to be confused with will be missed.

           Few eyebrows are raised about taking out a five year loan for a car, especially a two-passenger electric car. Here’s a company that will finance your purchase, no credit check, no papers to sign. Auto sales are booming, at least over at Toys-R-Us. Remember the days when your dad built you a go-cart from scrap lumber? You steered with ropes and the brake was the heel of your shoe in the gravel.
           I’ve again had to resort to HTML tags to keep the format of this blog consistent. For some reason, the “improved” version centers all photos and does not specify a left-margin. If you know your scripting, I removed the division tags and added 1em to the left of today’s right float. What? Even Patsie knows what all that is. My readers can get it from context. Or by comparing older posts before the change. My point is the blog owners have been screwing things up royally. And Malaysia is ousting Canada as the number four spot for non-USA views. On that, I cannot shed much light. Hello, and welcome, Malaysia.

           A friend of mine is looking for work, and the situation in Florida is drastic. The real unemployment rate is probably close to 25% and even higher if you are under 25 or over 50. There are no government controls on job agencies in this state, so here’s a few pointers on how NOT to waste your time. Many Florida trade schools and colleges advertise fake jobs to try to sell you a student loan. The job is bogus, their scam is to sign you up for more training.
           Many hiring agencies are resume collectors, there are no such jobs and they only want the work history and private information off your resume. Avoid resume pools by applying only for specific jobs. Don’t give out personal information or references until you get an interview. Do not agree to any credit checks until you are on the short list. And regularly scan your credit report to find out which agencies are doing an unauthorized credit check (by claiming to be the employer). You’ll find 99% of them do. As far as I know, the ONLY legitimate job board in Florida is Workforce One.
           Do not waste your time with CareerBuilder (Monster.com), the AARP, or Craigslist. These outfits are data predators and in any case, are also resume pools. They can’t tell you about the job because there usually aren’t any. They get paid by the resume, not by the job placement. They waste your time and sell your data behind your back. If you must use an agency or service, be very sparing with what you tell them about your personal life until after a specific job is targeted and you have an interview.

           I know it can be a desperate time finding a job and you feel you are in no position to refuse to answer all questions. But in most cases you are just setting yourself up. The tip off is when the “recruiter” wants to talk about you instead of supply information about the job. Trust me, there is no job, they are playing you for a sucker and wasting your time. Don’t refuse to answer, just say you don’t understand the relevance of the question to the job. And watch out for a scripted answer.
           To make sure I’m giving good advice, I reviewed Workforce One. Little has changed. Employers still want experienced, educated people to work for peanuts. But I notice they must have cracked down on that dismal “depending on experience” category under pay rates. As few people as ever understand the difference between bookkeeping and accounting. And hundreds of employers want you to run their office by yourself while they play golf. Duh, if you can run an office by yourself, you probably already are.
           Insisting I was only looking, I see there is an excellent position in North Miami for me. I’ll wait to see how the first of the month goes, for I still have a few thousand dollars left in my retraining account. One thing I can do in my sleep is payroll. My only preference is a large company or the government, where upper management quickly notices my performance. In my last job, I went from field clerk to office next to the boss in sixteen weeks. Please understand, I have been around computers since I was 17, I know all office software and machinery, I have experience doing payroll for 750 people, and have often done the work of six ordinary people at once. (But only computer work, however, and even then only when the work involved making fervently complicated decisions. I’m just sayin’.)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++