Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, November 29, 2012

November 29, 2012

           This is why I patronize Kiss European Bakery. When I walk up and see “mom” in the courtyard using a hand-mill to make walnut filling, that’s who gets my business. Is your bakery doing this? Kiss is the real thing, and you can find me there any morning, when the selection is greatest. They keep nothing in the display cases overnight except cookies. Are you listening Chocolada?
           Have you heard of an Electroharmonix 2880, a multi-track looper? Neither did I until Trent mentioned one today. His description sends me on a quest for the operator’s manual. I reported back to him that I found the Taxi music samples to be electronic on a scale I cannot yet duplicate. A looper with different tracks would solve that and according to his experience, this one is easy to operate. The product has been discontinued, but I seek the technology. It is billed as a “live solo looper” but it may have the same limitations as the Tascam and Boss mixers being that it came out in almost 30 years ago.
           Ha, I was listening to an Ann Coulter re-run in which she talked about the dangers of universal health care. I’ve seen the ugly side of socialized medicine. You are forced pay for insurance through payroll deduction. Not just your own insurance, but everybody else’s because you are “lucky enough” to be able to work hard and they aren’t (you should have figured out what country I’m talking about on that alone). The pickle is the average “other person” is a reckless, uneducated, pot-smoking, irresponsible, self-centered alcoholic. And why not, when he screws up, you gotta pay for it, so live for the moment. Moral hazard rides again.
           They are the majority, so with the right song and dance they get free gender reassignments, heroin, and casts when they break both damn legs bungee jumping. But when I need treatment for a ten-inch scar, I’m denied because being male in their rule book makes it “cosmetic surgery”. That, folks, is the reality of “free health care”. Unless you have the same medical condition as everybody else, you could die waiting in line.
           I said before, I’m not endorsing Coulter. I just think she is fun to read and she is generally right (and admirably eloquent) about what is wrong. She’s also a six-foot skinny mostly-blonde that should mate with me so our children come out five-ten. With blue eyes. She is not in her element delivering speeches, though I empathize one has to gear it down for the masses. Ann, hang out with me and you needn’t blunt a thing. How’s that for an irresistible come-on? Just show up at the bakery and ask for me early next week. I’ll be along.
           She slays me with her comments about feminism. The reason ugly women are a bunch of liberals, she catches, is because, being ugly, they have to date men who are liberals. Ha! Observations like this mesh with my life experiences. Where was she when I needed her? Coulter states feminism is a step backward, that she’ll take her 69 cents on the dollar just to never have to buy dinner. Smart cookie. Reminds me a lot of myself.
           Together we could use our skills to abolish the entire “diplomatic corps”. The embassies don’t do a lick of good and waste mountains of money. Every country knows it’s just a den of spies. The entire diplomatic function is ritualized bum-squeezing, with all that “distinguished colleague” nausea going on. Constantly. Just like with that United Nations baloney, instant world communication rendered all embassies redundant generations ago. That’s $47 billion per year flushed down foreign sewers. The only good staffers are the ones who draw enemy fire.
           And still no video link for the Bieber-bomb, even indie cell-phone captures have been blanked off the Internet. Searches on “Bieber booed off stage” take you to his promo site. How was he able to do that? He ain’t that rich and he certainly ain’t that smart. Listen, Canada, that is not the way to go. Like the cover-up of the Dynasty Metals robbery last summer. Every news release available contains the exact same 363 word “company statement” that spells i-n-s-i-d-e j-o-b. And most of that report is a sterile attempt to redirect the issue toward company concern for employee safety. What’s that smell?
           Two people won the $500 million powerball. Not, however, the two arguing loudly over on Federal Hwy since 5:00 o’clock this morning. I could hear them clear at my place, over the two ten-foot noise fences. Somebody finally called the cops. That’s motel living in the 21st century. Of course, the media will do their usual half-job of reporting by not mentioning it was two ethnics. So I won’t say anything either (about them being two ethnics) for fear of ruining my reputation on the Beltway.
           I’ll tell it again. Send the police to break up these domestic disputes, and then send ‘em the bill. Around the corner were another nine cars. We need a Los Angeles style method of dealing with these street couples. Always send a paddy wagon and at least one of the parties spends the night in the drunk tank, whoever is the worst. Second offence, $1,000 fine. Third offence, jail time. The public doesn’t need their dirty laundry. I instantly drop any woman who starts an argument with me and others can learn to do the same. No, not even one argument is okay unless, well, you know. Theresa can confirm this.
           Dear web “masters”. We don’t look at your pages if
                      A) You want personal information (my email is addy is personal)
                      B) It requires downloading “special” viewing software
                      C) Any MicroSoft “notices” appears, whatsoever
                      D) You are selling books instead of information
                      E) We see any advertising that can’t be closed instantly

You think you are smart. We think you are stupid—-and inconsiderate. And a dismal asshole besides. Sooner or later, I hope whoever hired you to bother their clients catches on, and you wind up on the dust heap of history. Or telemarketing, same thing. The only thing worse than invasive advertising is them telemarketers. Oh, they claim they are about politics or surveys, but what part of “No Call List” don’t them bastard-rats understand?


ADDENDUM
           Chalk up another late night with electronics. All on the lowly NOR gate. I vaguely recall a teacher in my grade seven science class who glossed over these gates. I learned nothing from that. But there was some talk that all gates could be made from the right combination of one gate, which I seem to have encountered again. The NAND gate. I’ve studied these for a few hours and drawn all my diagrams. Can I build a NOR gate using only switches, relays, and resistors? That would be an accomplishment (for me), indeed.
           But slow it all down. Things are going to crawl for a while until I learn or unlearn whatever makes things take so long. I can solder and wire-twist, but maybe I’m building circuits too complex for my present skill. There still appears to be no fancy or efficient way of rapidly connecting test circuits other than the breadboard—but the designs that fit there are rarely a good pattern for production. I realize even after I get a pilot working, I still draw numerous diagrams before commencing a permanent model. As many as six so far with the NOR gate.
           No, I can’t use EagleCAD. When I try, I keep getting errors trying to make the schematic into a printable template. The entire set of directions on this point is missing from the manual. I swear, it is the geek-gene again. Only an engineer type would neglect such an important part. Basically, the instructions consist of one word, “import”. Wow, Poindexter, that’s really helpful.