Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

November 28, 2012

           Here’s a better representation of the jumbo cargo box on my scooter in comparison with the usually useless designs. My box will contain a full size pizza, or my helmet and jacket, or five bags of groceries. Without crushing the whole wheat bread, I mean. My only wish is that it was made of sturdier material. It is removable by pulling one lever on the box interior.
           I took some Cuban coffee over to the shoe shop y’day for a quick visit. The same old story, business is declining and prices are rising. That’s a phenomenon of the capitalist system that suppliers are rarely the first to fail when they raise their prices. Then, I drive past Dekka and they are open again. I’m negotiating with Lucy to teach me how to do alterations. Not major alterations, but the ones that fit me. I’ve been balking at the $25 per hour [for lessons] price tag at my old place.
           Speaking of money, for the third time in my life I’ve hit what I call the fun barrier. If I take a date, I can only afford working class joints, which I don’t like for the clientele. To hit a nicer place, I have to go stag and that doesn’t work so well when you can’t pass for 29 anymore. There is an interesting applied sociology behind why this is the third time for me. You see, sooner or later I always met a rich gal who pays her own way on principle. Equality without having to ask for it.
           I even visited the library on Collins, but not or long as they only have pay parking. To class it up, they call it a “reading room”. Funny, all the computers are in the same "reading" area, but to the lower castes, reading and looking at pictures are the same thing. Hell, I knew one lady who used to harp that I was “playing” on the computer all day, she had not the aptitude to know the difference between a toy and a tool.
           Here is a shot of what will be going on in your neighborhood when you get assimilated. It's hard to read, but it says "Prussher Cleaning". Due to the influx of alien manual laborer, it has been decades since an American teenager could get a decent part-time job after school and save money for college. We now have student loans for that.
           That fancy sign, leaning on the bumper, that just tells you they’ve got a business license. It was seeing this parked in front of a millionaire mansion on East Harrison that got my attention. There is nothing unusual about it otherwise. Society collapses to the gronk level so Yuppie blueberries will cost ten cents less per pound.
           The quality of life has been permanently degraded in my lifetime. Ann Coulter blames it on Liberals, I blame on good old-fashioned ignorance, complacency, and short-sightedness. In my generation, unwed mothers have become “single parents”, which if you look it up and make all the conversions, now costs society 50 times as much in welfare, foodstamps, school lunches, and entitlements than in my day. What's the difference? Where unwed mothers rarely made the mistake twice, single parents both breed and adopt for more government money. Is that controversial enough for ya?
           And the Steve Irwin types that do that kind of thing have fished a baby Nile crocodile out of the Everglades. That means there's an established a breeding population. I cannot imagine how sick a person must be to keep a crocodile for a pet. These African crocodiles can bring down a wildebeest. Sick, sick, sick. And pet stores are still allowed to import “exotic” species because nobody in charge has learned the lesson.
           While at Dekka, I raided their library. I found another Cussler book, no title yet. But I can tell you the plot. The Head Chief Under Secretary Deputy Minister of Something-or-other calls our hero for a favor, who brilliantly unravels a secret plot to topple the Western Hemisphere, and California, too. People who speak English or Russian will get assassinated all over the damn place, but particularly in those locations where all the women are way smarter than the men. Embassies, biology labs, chess tournaments, that kind of thing. Hey, Cussler has moved 100 million copies for stirring that soup, so don’t laugh.
           Due to my recent mention of James Burke, I went on-line to see if he’d come out with any series I’d missed. He, the entire “Connections III” collection from 1997. It is on my agenda for I’ve never seen it. The first episode covers “electronic agents” which is what your profile on the Internet was called back then. With amazing accuracy, he predicts what will be kept (medical records, purchases, letters) on file and also why. Because your “agent” could be anything you want it to be and there are powerful interests out to prevent you from doing just that. That’s very clear thinking, Mr. Burke. It is now called a profile and users have far less control over it than was intended in 1997.
           Last, hooray to Issa, the congressman who has proposed a two-year moratorium on any new Internet laws. His reasoning? He said, “. . . I don't believe ANYBODY in Congress has the vocabulary, is intelligent in knowing (sic) how the internet or computers work, or has the foresight to put current trends and future technologies together in a context to create those new regulation (sic) that protect the internet and it's (sic) users/consumers."
           What? That’s “sic”, a Latin (and therefore italicized) adverb meaning “thus”, short for “sic erat scriptum” which means “thus it is written”. It indicates preceding errors in the original quote that are not my doing. I’m pointing them out. Why? Because when it comes to writing intelligent sentences, I don’t believe ANYBODY in Congress . . .
           That's thought-provoking. Readers of this blog are six times more likely to be using an Apple than the averages out there.

ADDENDUM
           The importance of laboratory work in a trade can’t be beat. I discount what people say about apprenticing, the jobsite is one of the least effective ways of learning anything. What brought this on? It took me four hours and a blown continuity tester to connect four simple switches this morning. The snag is that in a lab there is somebody who’s done it before, so you get the edge of knowing something does work and advice on all the likely things going wrong. I’m spending twice as much time double checking because I don’t have the advantage of having seen it done right at least once. I now have a $4.80 switch (not counting my time) that should have cost fifty cents. Ha-ha on me.
           Then, I set about working on my NOR gate again. Here’s the photo. As you see, the testing setup I mentioned a couple days back is underway, the power supply is shown along the top. I had no idea how engaging the study of these circuits would become. But I do perceive now that so many purported experts in this field have never done what you see here. I know, because I’m really good at passing tests myself.

palm triangular; 1984 mustang fuse block bus bar; diy pvc bed tent; meme features person with gas can;1rep rap; solitaire card bounce;