Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, June 25, 2004

June 25, 2004


           I misplaced my calendar, but I remember June 24, 2004. Because it was a Friday payday and JZ and I went to a university pub on South Dixie Hwy. In my Cadillac which is showing signs of age. I tend to keep cars for at least 18 years, which is why you'll hear me moan about maintenance costs. Hey, it is still cheaper than just replacing the car like some people I know. I did not know it was the last luxury car of my time.
           Also, I can see that my work performance is slipping. I just get so tired, I fall asleep at my desk for several minutes at a time. My work gets done and I still have a 100% accuracy rate, but I'm aware I cannot do this forever. Slowing down doesn't help, it just makes me bored with the work. It is just one of those days I remember very well. Most days, I don't remember but that is why we have this blog.

           At the pub, actually it was more of a lounge, I hit on every (apparently unattached) gal in the place. It was to win a mini-bet, as JZ kept saying the only way to meet women was to buy them drinks. I won without spending a cent. I still got it.
           Here is a photo of Landsat at age twenty this year. This was the original satellite that wowed us in Life and Time Magazine with those amazing photos of land use. The resolution was 100 feet, but it still showed the danger in the Amazon basin. It was quite the thing at launch in 1984 but I remember it most because it was only supposed to last something like twelve years and it may still be at work. In 1976 it discovered an island in Canada nobody knew was there. Come to think of it, even to this day nobody knows it's there.


++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++