Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

November 19, 2014


MORNING
           House prices are rising, this is no surprise when tourist season starts. The average increase is $5,000 in what I’m seeking. I would again stress to all that my place now is too small, but I am perfectly comfortable here. For that matter, I’m surprised how comfortable. It is prudent to realize every dollar spent on accommodation is a dollar not spent on enjoying life. I already know too many people who will die in $300,000 houses without ever having done any the things they dreamed of.
           To let you know I’m open-minded about what I’d live in as long as it doesn’t tie up my life, here is a room that seats 131. It’s the interior of a passenger rail car, yours for $40,000. In fact, there is a whole whack of train cars for sale at Sterling, including a caboose ($35,000) and a diesel locomotive ($2,950,000). Regular used boxcars will set you back $19,000. If you’ve never see real train parts for sale, this site will open your eyes.

           Well dang this drizzling rain. I would otherwise have gone to see the only decent movie in town, Dumb and Dumber To, finally sequeled after a twenty-year delay. I don’t like riding the bus to the movies because that adds up to a half-day. So you get more trivia. As for the trains above, I was actually looking to see what happened to that national park in Denver that bought some luxury cars around five years back. I want a ride, but the cars have disappeared.
           It’s the same outfit that ran the Grand Canyon tour I nearly took last year. Xanterra? Anyway, I balked at the price and also one of their disgruntled employees gave me the inside story. I forget that price, but it was mighty steep. Their web site is no help and I do NOT do business with places that do not quote their prices up front, and neither should you. I can't stand "it depends" pricing. And don't we love the jerks who want to know what you are going to use it for? As if you'll pay more for lumber if you are building a palace instead of a chicken coop?

           If you want to rent a luxury rail car, they are more prevalent in Europe. Starting price is around $9,000 per day including staff and catering. Or $3,000 per day for just the car. They are even cheaper in India, where a luxury train trip has complimentary “gau jal” which, in India at least, cures diabetes, blood pressure, asthma, psoriasis, eczema, heart attack, blockage in arteries, fits, cancer, AIDS, piles, prostrate, arthritis, migraine, thyroid, ulcer, acidity, constipation, gynecological problems, ear and nose problems, abortion and several other diseases. I did not know there was a cure for abortion. The primary ingredient of gau jal is, well, it’s . . . Um, I think I’ll let you look that one up for yourself.

           On that interesting theme, I looked up other luxury train travel options. In Durban, S. Africa, you can still take a “train safari”, and yes, they post the prices at Rovos Rail, and I’d take that tour in an instant. Quick, somebody donate the $20,000 and I’ll give you a private review of the whole journey. Be sure to look at their virtual tours. They are as close as I’ll ever get.
           I’d like to see the Namibian desert, but somehow it is not at the head of my bucket list. I haven’t seen the Smithsonian yet. And they are starting a 20-year renovation on that place, which will coincide, just you watch, with the things I want to see when I eventually get there.
           The picture below? It’s from the Rovo advertising of the “pillar” dining car. I actually found the site while looking for stories of restored train cars. It’s buried deep, but if you read the Rovo fine print you’ll find a short history of each of the cars. The picture, naturally, shows you exactly the type of people you will not see on your trip. Good-looking models, as in “loved her; hated him”.


NOON
           So, train talk is popular. Good, but I have to move on. At the other end of luxury is the Trans-Siberian railway. The travel time, minimum is eight days. If I read the ads correctly, there are private European companies that offer special trips, but otherwise a Russian train is what you’ll probably find in a reasonable price range. That price seems to be around $650 USD, but at half that, there are seats available for those who can manage eight days without a shower.
           The ads generally state to bring your own food, take some rest stops, and carry on to Beijing rather than Vladivostok. They further claim the trip is safe for solo females. Okay, after eight days, nobody goes near them, right guys?
           There’s something I forgot to say about the S. African trip. Except inside your private suite, the train bans all items that have the ability to disturb others. Doesn’t say it has to disturb, just have the ability. That includes laptops and cell phones. There are no radios or TVs allowed on board. Hmmm, I already like it as much as my relatives would hate it.
           What? I can hear my brother asking, "What?" Spend good money to go on a trip and they won't let you bother the other passengers? Next thing you know, they'll let people start locking their rooms when they go to the dining car. I know, you think I'm making this up. And pictures? Those things take time to select and post, so go get 'em yourself. I'm busy.

NIGHT
           An unusual event, so sit back and I’ll tell you this tale from the trailer court. Around nine, Agt. M came over to use some tools and take down the old EnGenius antenna. We soon after got over to Dunkin and took the only available table. Next to us were two high-school students, and be-darned if one of them doesn’t go out to the car and get a box full of microcontrollers.
           Within minutes, we were going all over the goodies, she had tank treads, Sumo boards, servos, and a half-built robot cart. Although we’ve not seen these before, the technology is instantly recognizable. This is one of those battle robot kits and I was intrigued to see the design is similar to what we came up with independently.

           What an eye-opener, I got a first-hand look at what is being taught at high-school level these days. I’m sad to report that the curriculum is experiencing the same troubles as I did so many years ago at startup. The people who write the books are geeks who have forgotten what it was like when they began. They write way over your head.
           Soon, we were going over her bot design, pointing out what would work well and what would not. She picked up quickly we knew what was going on, and soon Agt. M had the kit apart and fixing the treads and I was poring over the code in her laptop, showing her the basics of pulse width modulation and the need to learn transistors. We exchanged e-mails and if this gal continues to learn this fast, she will quickly move to the top of the class.
           I saw the BASIC Stamp IDE (like a mini-word processor for a computer language) and let me inform you, that language is not BASIC. It is as ridiculous and unnatural as C+, a language only crazy people think is any good. Do not buy into this system without checking the language for yourself, it is obviously a fake-out to trick beginners into thinking they will be coding in BASIC. The commands are not even English words, an absolute requirement of good code.
           The most disappointing parts of the conversation were learning what the classes [at the school] were not teaching. The school is teaching them the how without the why. The lady picked up on this within moments and handed Agt. M the box of parts. The school does not have a drill press, an oscilloscope, or even a digital camera to log their projects. True, our club has not built even a robot kit yet, but we had a new improved version of theirs back on the table by midnight.
           That’s when I left for home. She was delighted to see the combination of lab and lecture as I chatted about robot theory and Agt. M rebuilt the chassis. The high-school is not as organized as it need be for teaching this material, but I can assure you they are at least ahead of Nova. If this little lady gets in touch, I can see a working arrangement. We have the organization and know-how, she has a 3D printer and a box of electronic parts such as we’ve never been able to afford in one shot, much less take them down to the coffee shop.
           Again, if she follows through and collaborates with us, from what I saw she will easily win any trophies involved. I suspected the schools were letting these students down when I first looked for a robot club in 2009. I allow that it is probably not the fault of the school. I believe schools should be allowed to specialize and parents can pick and choose, but no. Well, if this young lady independently learns what we have to offer, then she’s better off than I ever was. Keep your eye on this development.
           Last, and you didn’t see this, the EnGenius antenna was sitting atop a 16-foot pole, to which it is permanently fixed. We have no way to move something of that size. I said wait until morning, but M tied the working end to his bicycle and dragged the whole thing home trailing behind him. At 1:00 AM in the morning. All I can say is if I was a cop, that would have been be the most suspicious thing I’d seen since I don’t know when. I mean, right down Federal Highway. And you wonder why sometimes I stare up at the sky and shake my head.

ADDENDUM
           Ha, did it again! I’ve found (as in created) a duo version of Tritt’s “Here’s A Quarter” that keeps the audience interest while eliminating the lead guitar during the break. This may not rouse you, but for me it signifies defeat for guitar players who consider themselves indispensible. Now careful, there is far more to this than just learning the individual instrument parts and putting them back together. I’ve written about “voicings” before, and they are supremely important in a duo. In my duos. (Later, this song quickly rose to top of my list, a real tip-generator.)
           For those without music theory, I’ll quickly explain. Voicings are akin to the number of things going on at once--with a major difference. When you listen to most indie music, the instruments are usually layered one over the other. This usually takes the form of tracks, first the drum track, then the bass track, and so on. The problem with this approach is overuse. Most indie music is a steady diet of sameness.
           My approach is to intertwine the instruments to give the impression of more going on. While this may seem obvious, I take it to the next level. Yet especially guitar players either don’t get it or plain don’t like it. This makes sense when you realize that the guitar does not get to play a completely independent part, which is what he is shooting for, usually with a passion. Since I specialize in duo work, the bass is adding a slight rhythm part and the guitar is filling in the blanks. The result is the sound of at least three instruments (I’ve achieved four), with the vocals adding the rest.
           The problem is an instrumental break. The vocals stop, and generally so does the guitar chording as the notes become picked. This kills two of the voicings and the sound becomes thin. The way around it, for me, is to keep the guitar rhythm constant with a few embellishments, but spice up the bass line. Pat-B calls this me playing lead on the bass. But in a sense, that is how I play bass all the time, not just in the breaks. Yes, I do kick it up a notch. The hope is to find something that “captures” the song, and this morning I just happened to do that with this tune.
           The downside is the riffs are played best in G, and I cannot sing this song in G. And it cannot be capo-ed up to D or E. I later learned to sing it in G. And my capo is missing. It’s 8:35 AM and I’m gone to the bakery.

This end-of-post is an unrelated photo (yes, Togla, it's lifted from the Internet) was a hit,
I'll do a few more over the next week.


Togla is too thin-brained to know that all exposure is publicity and he should be glad to get it. The smartest thing he could have done for his "music" is leave posted what I said about it.


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++