Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

January 5, 2016

Yesteryear
One year ago today: January 5, 2015, finding fault with Forbes.
Five years ago today: January 5, 2011, but this one is mine.
Nine years ago today: January 5, 2007, Yiwu City.
Random years ago today: January 5, 2012, 3,866 miles.

MORNING
           This was the quick project of the morning, a box for the old scooter battery. Not old, but bought new this May at Pep Boys. I quit in five months, but is not the experimental power supply for the video cam. The box is intentionally sized so that nothing but the battery will fit inside. The new (temporary) neighbor needed some tools and scrap wood, which I provided since I was working in the yard. It’s a cold spell, down to 70.9°F back there today.
           My tests for the snag with the solar panels remain inconclusive. I don’t even know if the panels are the cause or the effect. But my thinking says DC electricity flows only one direction, so trace back to the source. I pised open the casing of the inverter to find that fuse and can inform you the thing is designed to let you know they don’t like people doing that.

           The recessed lid is so that rope carrying handles can be drilled on the sides. Nobody sensible likes carrying a battery with no handles. The wood is fence pickets thrown away up the road, you can see the fancy “top” piece resting on top. It doesn’t stay there; I was only using it to mark the size of the lid
           The inverter rests on top of the lid of this box, I’m not sure if I should encase it. It has cooling fins and is designed for indoor use, but I’m not planning on it getting wet. What’s the verdict? That it is going to get wet anyway? Yeah, but it has already blown a fuse and that happens when things get too hot. Yessir, all the experts disappear when you have a real question.

           Ah, some might ask, what is it with this second picture? Easy, I felt I could not leave you, my esteemed readership, with the idea that an ugly wooden box was top story of the morning. Even though it was--hey watch the weather report. I was stuck indoors. Anyway, this lady posted an invitation to join her meetup club and it appeared in my email this morning.
           Argh, my eyes! I have no idea what kind of club it was. But I hope it wasn't dating, nomsayn? You see, I deleted that post so fast that I nearly broke my new finger splint. Then, unable to decide which was the more attractive picture (the battery box or this lady), I decided to include both. There you go.

NOON
           Here’s clowning around with VR goggles with the new neighbors. It’s actually a cheap brand more suitable for Iron Man and other totally outdated cartoons. Alas, I can’t communicate with them except sign language. I was outside feeding the birds when this came along and before you knew it, we had a block party. The glasses can be connected to a variety of devices, but I want to see it when it is flying the quadcopter.
           My new wagon has four flat tires. No problem, I have everything here to repair that, but I don’t have the correct type of hose to connect my portable air tank to the compressor to put both tanks in tandem. That’s what you need with my amateur gear to provide enough of a blast to pop the tires back onto the rims.

           What’s this England is debating whether to ban Trump. Well, Mr. Trump, make sure you remember that next time they come begging to the US for a bailout. Like they did in the last two wars they started. Talk about a bunch of short-sighted garbanzos with extremely short memories. Let’s see how well they do when Germany wakes up this time around.

NIGHT
           I know you’ll never tire of scooter shots, so here is the great-granddaddy of all Florida scooters. Since Miguel left, this is the oldest unit still in daily operation in the state. It’s a 2008(?) or something like that, although I did not buy it new until 2010(?). This photo shows the field modifications, which I’ll point out some of the majors, since it is not obvious to the bystander. Most evident is the new muffler. It’s actually a whole system, including the mounting bracket. The roll-back kickstand had to be removed to install this pipe, making it very difficult to check and change the oil (because the bike can only be safely parked tilted to the left).
           You may see extra wiring tucked behind the rear fender. This is for an extra LED bulb to prevent citations for a burnt out tail light. (I’ve never had one, but the scooter did eat tail lights until I installed this backup, and it has never burnt out since.) There is the air scoop on the motor fan, made from all-American Budweiser aluminum. See the large capacity cargo carrier? Don’t settle for anything smaller.
           And the seat. It is long since split and ratty, but it is covered here with shiny black duct tape. There are many smaller modifications, like the cleat just below the passenger seat, if you can see it, and the larger side reflector. This motorcycle has been so extensively reworked that the frame is the only original piece. New electrical, new headlamp mounting, new ignition, new calipers (brakes), I still estimate the total cost to be a seventh of operating a car for the same time and distance.
           I still have not repaired the speedometer but I estimate the bike has nearly 20,000 miles on it, growing by 66 miles per week.

ADDENDUM
           Let’s cover some ground fast here. Y’know how I am the Pilot Hole Ace? Add a subtitle, I have mastered the Forstner bit recessed screw head part as well. And my battery box is the envy of those who don’t have one, the significance being I built this entirely without a ruler—a landmark for me. Turns out JZ didn’t show New Year’s because of a fender bender, no info on whose fault. My splint is working fine, it takes a few seconds to adapt but it does prevent entire movement of the middle knuckle.
           Things you cannot do wearing the splint: turn the ignition key and take money out of your pocket. You can type, butter bread, and all the important things, at least to the same degree as a factory splint. And the glazier’s tool, it sells for as much as $95. Not that I’ve made anything on it, I’ll likely keep it as a conversation piece.


           And I have a date with the gal that everybody in town is after. When I handed her my phone number (with me, that is making the first move), she told me she was flabbergasted. That, gals, is the correct response. Nothing has happened, not that I would say. And I won’t mention age because enough people are jealous of the women I date already. Hmmm, it that bragging? I dunno, you haven’t seen me with that many women, but yeah, she’s a little hottie. And I’m known for playing with fire. Later--one fling, that was it. She's gone.


Last Laugh
(What crazy looks like.)


++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++