Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, June 3, 2016

June 3, 2016

Yesteryear
One year ago today: June 3, 2015, on Judge Judy.
Five years ago today: June 3, 2011, old office still vacant.
Nine years ago today: June 3, 2007, “in each other’s hands” ???
Random years ago today: June 3, 2009, a generic day.

MORNING
           Here’s the soon-to-be garden. I thought my property ended at that fence gate, but this whole section is also mine. Buahaha. All mine. This fenced off area is large enough for a right-sized garden and as far as I’m concerned, small vegetables are my limit. Radishes and carrots. Anything that needs too much above-ground attention is for people with green thumbs and colorless personalities. Just kidding. Here’s your hoe.
           Preliminary calculations show it is economical to either rent or buy a post hole digger to excavate the foundation pylon holes. Same with a cement mixer, but I hesitate on that, those things are still heavy labor with shovel, rake, and wheelbarrow.

           I’m getting used to the place, it does occasionally pop or squeak at night as the building cools down. I’ve measured the windows and awnings. The bathroom is too small, it was built when indoor plumbing of any kind was still a luxury in these parts. But there is a way to recess the sink into an alcove which I’ll look at. I do not like the feel of the bathroom floor, it moves slightly, like something has been boarded over.
           If so, I hope it’s the missing $260,000 from the bank robbery back in ’51 that they never recovered. Where’d that come from? Well, I’m reading another James Pattison book and I think I’ve seen the movie. The one where they rob the banks by kidnapping the manager’s family. Who knows, I’ve read so many maybe I’ve read this book before. Either way, it is a good detective story, with our old champion, Cross. Who can ace anything except with his women, where he keeps getting erotic and neurotic backwards.

Wiki picture of the day.
England expects that every
man will do his duty.

NOON
           The place creaks a bit at night. That’s a hint it may not be insulated. I noticed the temp difference between light and dark, and wondered why the air conditioners were so large for the space. Thus, I’ve decided to use the bedroom as a starting point to find out what is under the finish. Here is a picture of the area, showing the hardwood floor. This room is slated to be stripped to the studs and floor joists. I suspect the siding was added over top to make the building look level and it isn’t.
           You can tell because the windows and drawers stick and the doors have had the hinges repositioned. Nobody has crawled underneath yet to look at the joists, maybe I’ll get brave enough myself. The city listing says the floors are laminate, but hey are hardwood.

           Alas, parts of the floor are spongy and warped, but a careful renovation could recover enough good pieces for the living room and bedroom. Who needs a hardwood hallway? It is the bathroom that concerns me, as the floor is soft and has obviously been covered over more recently. That was likely to hide something. Further, the bathroom is too small. You have to squeeze around the sink the way it is mounted to the wall.

+++ Ig Nobel Prize Winners +++
           David Barss : Medicine, 2001. Dave discovered falling coconuts can kill people, publishing the facts in 1984. “Ten times more dangerous than sharks,” says Dave. If so, the guy is not nuts. Get it, not nuts? Bonk!
+++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++

NIGHT
           I’ve made a list of the tools needed and I have most of them already. More measurements show that the place is large enough for two people to camp out while making any repairs. That is a total plus since there is no rush to complete anything. It is almost certain now that the rear siding is now coming off to see what we have there.
           Take a look here. This is where the paint is flaking the worst. I’m going attempt to peel some of it to the bare wood. Right now, it flexes enough that it feels line aluminum siding. No matter, it will be stripped and refinished.

           Note the screen lying on the ground. It was stored underneath the building and I’m hoping I’ll find the others there also. If I keep the old double hung windows, screens are a must since the Florida interior is mosquito territory, soon to be Zika turf if Trump doesn’t get that wall happening asap. Did you see the retarded protesters? They are only convincing the voting public that the people trying to stop Trump are getting desperate. Same bunch every rally, same tactics. Obviously the hired help.
           Smarter than to say anything myself, I have noticed that this area is largely pro-Trump. His position on minor and special interest matters, the very rubbish the establishment candidates try to catch each other over, is bunk to Trump supporters. No time for smoke and mirrors while the border is open. Trump knows what is really important. What concerns me is if the insiders try to stop Trump even if he gets a majority of votes. That could have serious consequences.
           So serious, one might consider buying a small place in the countryside. Maybe a fixer-upper? With ship-lap siding?


Last Laugh


++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++