Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, July 15, 2016

July 15, 2016

Yesteryear
One year ago today: July 15, 2015, Arcadia, FL.
Five years ago today: July 15, 2011, electric bike stats.
Nine years ago today: July 15, 2007, it’s from Barbados.
Random years ago today: July 15, 2005, first time in my life.

MORNING
           By now you’ve figured out I was on the road. JZ showed up, we piled the last of my important gear into the Toyota, and headed for Lakeland. And managed to hit the Friday rush hour out of Miami. You have not seen a frenzied stampede like folks trying to get the hell out of Miami on a weekend. Any weekend, it don’t matter.
           This is your mystery object for the day. I thought they were egg cups, but the consensus is they are too weak. An egg would cause them to top over. I got them as springs for my newest model of seismic detector and I don’t eat eggs. It just gets curiouser and curiouser. Like the office. They keep rejecting the buyers I bring for this place.

           It’s the good old age limit thing, but I happen to know there are several people already renting units that are well under the stated minimum. The office says they allow a certain quota, and I’m saying they let those people in after I have notice I was selling. Besides, they are renters, not owners, and the contract specifies “sales”.
           There is a slim chance the office boy, who nobody likes, could be disqualifying my people just out of spite. But it boils down to money and I don’t think he is, um, what’s the word? UnChristian? Yeah, he is not unChristian enough to pull a stunt that risks sabotage.

Wiki picture of the day.
Millions of acres.

NOON
           Before we left town, I got everything possible confirmed by telephone. The work up there is totally dominated by that floor. And yes, we still argue about what the best procedure is. So the entire now-routine trip up Highway 27 was your usual two construction types, arguing who has been doing things wrong for the longest, and which one of us has dated crazier, more selfish women. By the time we got to Harlem, west of Clewiston, I had to cave and admit JZ has definitely dated women more selfish than I have. But the crazy part, I dunno.
           Here is a totally rare photo, it is one taken by a Florida native. Look, the camera is not shaking and it is actually being held upright. Like I said: rare. Additionally, this reveals the bare 24-inch on center studwork, the diagonal cross-bracing of balloon framing, part of the twelve bags of leaves being raked out of the crawl space, light showing under the foundation, a safety-minded worker, and you can just see the edge of the ¾”-inch new plywood subfloor.

           We arrived late, so the majority of progress will be tomorrow. Our differing work theories are constantly in conflict, but I point out to the reader as long as JZ and I work together, we have never made a major mistake. His tendency is to “work fast and make money” versus my “non-contractor” view that we do the best job as possible within the budget.
           And not that the budget is agreed on either. Think of it this way. JZ’s concept of a budget is we go to Burger King with a coupon. My version is that we go to Burger King instead of fine dining, but once there, you can have anything on the menu in unlimited quantities. Our average meals on the road average around $10 and everybody eats. I won’t drive across town to save two bucks.

+++ Ig Nobel Prize Winners +++

           The US Government General Accountability Office: Literature, 2012. For issuing a report about reports about reports that recommends the preparation of a report about the report about reports about reports. Full report, 32 pages.
+++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++

NIGHT
           Same as last trip, we arrived shortly after another fabulous Lakeland wind storm. The house survived but down came some major tree branches, causing us to rethink those oak trees. When the leaves get wet, the branches bend downward uncomfortably close to my nice roof. After we unloaded the truck—space is getting limited in the new digs—it was too dark to get up there and check the clearances.
           So, we piled in the truck and cruised downtown to the new club. What do you know, JZ and the cranky waitress played nice. The entertainment was another useless over-age balding fat guitar tough-guy. Loud, or what, playing the usual assortment of obscure nonsense. The height of guitar ego conceit. I strive to point out that no matter how good a musician these dorks are, they cannot hold the crowd’s attention. Everybody turned back to their beer and darts by the end of each first verse.

           The one good thing is at least he did not go on about his brand of guitar. Few things grate more on other musicians that some guitar-head bragging about his strings and pickups. Or as I like to say over the stage mic when it happens, “His guitar cost $14,000 and 99 cents.”
           I stole that last line from a radio show. It being late, we grabbed sandwiches at the Circle K and called it a day. Return soon for news on one of Florida’s most famous floors. What? How can I say that, you ask? Easy, I just mention it here. I said blog readership was down, not that it had disappeared altogether.


Last Laugh


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++