Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, July 29, 2016

July 29, 2016

Yesteryear
One year ago today: July 29, 2015, that horrid Whoopi Goldberg.
Five years ago today: July 29, 2011, on political correctitude.
Nine years ago today: July 29, 2007, Cool Whip and ether.
Random years ago today: July 29, 2014, my "going nowhere fast" band.

MORNING
           How does a pile of scrap lumber get top billing? It’s 111° out there, that’s how. I told how the office decided to cut down my back yard shade tree right after I listed the place for sale. Well, this morning they informed me the mess they left in my back yard was my responsibility. I can’t really counter-argue that I had other plans or they would just find some excuse to hang around all day to see who shows up or what time I leave. I’ve told you before about these people.
           Thus, if we decide to leave for the weekend to Lakeland, it will mean stopping all over town first because I spent the morning raking leaves and hauling lumber instead of packing. And I’m pissed off, and that is why lumber gets a picture. So there.

           True, this blog reads quiet sometimes, but that’s the stealth part of learning. You always know something more than before when the day is done. And today, it is the information that everybody in the State of Florida who lives in a trailer park gets free legal services. This is not well-known, except to trailer park owners, who go out of their way to keep it a secret.
           Nothing actionable has happened, but today the park turned down another buyer because his credit was not so great. My point is, how often can they turn down my offers before things get unreasonable? Should they make the mistake of being to demanding, I’d quickly make the phone call. I’d argue for the price I’m asking, them taking two months to decide is hardly good faith.

Wiki picture of the day.
Nappy.

NOON
           No way. I could not clean up the back yard myself. JZ called, but I need him driving, not sweeping and raking. The work is heavy because the leaves got wet. Anyway, I don’t like the way JZ works, which is full blast until the job is done. I doubt he’s ever taken a siesta in his life. Hence, I blocked his idea of zipping over here this afternoon. He’d see the yard and launch into it. I can’t stall him forever so I have to get that mess cleaned up before he gets here. And you know how I love yard work.
           My A/C limit is 102° and the index is always over 110°, so I’m drenching in my own house. Plus, that missing shade tree in the back now means my bedroom unit is inadequate. The good news is I’ve discovered that Lakeland does, after all, have an Amtrak station. This got overlooked for an easy reason to understand. It is a spur line that connects to the station at Winter Haven. I would not have paid attention because some of these links are served by Amtrak bus, and I like to ride the train.

           The station makes Winter Haven look like a skid shack. The edifice, and you can just make out JZ in the shadow under the archway, shows that at some point, Lakeland was a major travel stop. There were five people in the spotless station with shiny floors. It was comical in a sad way, because JZ asked the staff if there was daily service and they almost pounced on him to buy a ticket.
           This became the butt of jokes all afternoon, that Amtrak put their agents on sales commission. Or the guy was told if he didn’t sell more tickets his job was on the line. Or they told the station to cough up more business or the rails would be sold to the scrap dealer. Ha, anyway, it is daily service and closer to my place in the southeast end than Winter Haven by a few miles anyway.

           Here’s a photo of me pointing to the rails to show JZ it was daily service. See, the rails ar enot rusty. It’s also a rare station in that it is in the very nicest part of town, across from that beautiful lake east of downtown. It is surrounded by walkways, parks, and fountains. I am still miffed about Amtrak’s policy on not allowing single men to take window seats, so next week I’ll see if the strongly worded letter I sent them a year ago has made any difference. Remember that? Where even if the train is empty, the conductors no longer let you choose your own seat “in case a family gets on”.
           Stop right here. I ride the train to see the scenery and the only system in America that is acceptable is first come, first serve. Otherwise that is a reservation, and the family has to make and possibly pay for reservations. I did not say the system was right or ideal or fair, merely that it is the only one acceptable.

+++ Ig Nobel Prize Winners +++

           Dr. Robert J. Genco: Economics, 1996. For his pioneering discovery that people who don’t have enough money to go see a dentist very often, very often don’t go see a dentist very often. It’s a mouthful just saying it, you might say. But, but Bob, are you sure you are getting to the root of the problem?
+++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++ +++

NIGHT
           Two more buyers came along, but we have a problem. The year this unit was built, the height requirement was only six feet tall. And in here, it is a scant six feet due to interior trim. I’ll change the ad. The people that looked all wanted a place to live that was more economical that the outrageous rents being charged in this town. The real estate bust stopped most new construction, so now there is a housing shortage. Rent for a room in a house is over $1,000 these days.
           Do you recall the 1975 newspaper found in the new place. I have retrieved it and begun to peel open the brittle pages. Alas, it is too far gone, but I will attempt to scan the more notable articles although the scanning process will crush the pages like thin eggshell.

           The advertisements are revealing. A price only had to stay the same since 1975 to go down because of inflation. I will try to salvage the 1975 ad for those identical fans, those five-blade box fans they sell at Wal*Mart for $18.88. Using the most heavily manipulated of all government data, the consumer price index, you can verify the same fan sells today for the same price. But $18.88 in 1975 means today the fan should be priced at $74.77. Or looking at the other way, the same fan in today’s money sells for $4.21
           I’ve peeked ahead and can just peel back a section of the stock quotes, it appears to be the “D” stocks. If I succeed in working with that, let’s see if we find any surprixes.


Last Laugh

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++