Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, August 11, 2016

August 11, 2016

Yesteryear
One year ago today: August 11, 2015, follow the morning link.
Five years ago today: August 11, 2011, I couldn’t tell the difference.
Nine years ago today: August 11, 2007, fake conversations of honor.
Random years ago today: August 11, 2004, Texas crop circles.

MORNING
           Here I am, all rested up and ready to tackle this beautiful Wednesday. Except, this is Thursday. It’s the jet lag thing again, which did not stop me from going out for breakfast. The accident broke the big reflector on the back of my scooter, but I gathered the pieces and am now waiting for the glue to dry. It’s a big reflector, around a foot long.
           And as always, my scooter speedometer lens gradually clouded over again, there seems to be nothing that will permanently or even long-term clean the material they make those and headlight covers from. Don’t tell me that isn’t intentional, or they’d still be using that cheaper material called “glass”. This is not the time for a safety meeting. Glass is fine by me.
           I’ve heard the reason none of the “headlight lens cleaners” work is because the problem is not dirt. It is that the plastic material itself becomes oxidized over time, a chemical reaction. Thus, these cleaners may be another phony “miracle product” that cleans only your wallet. I’m going to try shaving a layer off the lens to see how that fares.
           Should that fail, I have quite a number of anti-oxidant liquids to try. Shown here, I’m pointing at the lens just after it was cleaned. As you see, at best the needles can barely be seen, and this will cloud over in a day or two. Note also the faded coloration of the red paint. This looks like shiny portions in this photo, but in fact, you can see right through these places to the interior wiring and frame of the scooter. That’s how old this thing is.

           Meanwhile, here’s some trivia. According to “Women’s Daily, of the people who actually go to see psychics, 94% are women and the remaining 6% males are almost exclusively homos. Myself, I’d go see a psychic if she was pretty enough. Mesothelioma, the original “scare win” by law firms despite no measurable cancer risk caused the eventual bankruptcy of 67 businesses, many of whom never manufactured or sold asbestos.
           For each life saved, asbestos removal costs as much as $500 million. Catherine Commins of Vassar never actually said that men who are unjustly accused of rape can gain from the experience. (Time Magazine was the one that said it.) Nonetheless, she is one dismal excuse for whatever she is. That gives me an idea for a replacement of my Ig Nobel Prize feature. A list of nobodies and unknowns who, like Commins, have caused nothing but woe in America. But isn’t it Trump’s next job to name names?

Wiki picture of the day.
German chocolate.


NOON
           I rarely wait by doing nothing and I’ve decided to do some reading about Charles Darwin. The average person who’s read history knows that he was reluctant to publish his books on evolution—and they were not even really books about evolution. The theories of evolution and natural selection had been around a long time when Darwin began. But the theories were rejected by religion, which said the Earth was not old enough for the processes to occur. Most of what Darwin wrote had to do with a much older planet. He never said man “descended” from apes.
           Darwin said only that man and ape had a common ancestor. That is, for some reason, unfathomable to religious zealots. Just like you and your brother have a common ancestor. Unless a paternity test proves it was the milkman. The point is, having a common ancestor does not mean either you or your brother will ever “evolve” into each other. Apes will not evolve into men and men did not evolve from apes. They both evolved from a common ancestor, which seems to be the sticking point with idiots.

           This 700 page book, “The Origin” is the one I’ve chosen, having come into a mint first publication edition from the shelves of the Goodwill.
           Here’s some new info for most. DNA studies have shown that there is a fairly constant rate of mutation in genes. That means if one can detect the momentary rate that a species evolves, this data can be used to calculate how far back certain traits have evolved. Now, I will not get into mutations here, but I have independently looked at the matter. I’m semi-convinced that all evolution is the result of advantageous mutation.
           Back to Darwin. I’m going to read more on his life and background. He’s not any hero of mine or even mentor material. It’s that something is so misunderstood about his work that I hope to find out more. I suspect, in the process, I’ll learn how little mankind has changed since, what was it, 1850? Return later to find out which source or sources I decide to follow up. Later, I’ve decided the book above is plenty of material. Irving Stone has a reputation for accuracy so I get the impression I’ll know all about Darwin that the casual history buff needs.

Total at time of posting: $19,382,157,704,634.50
national debt

NIGHT
           I’m buying a cane. I’ve mentioned my difficulty walking more than a few blocks, even though I did walk home three miles on Monday. It is more discomfort than pain and I need only a moment’s rest to continue. Yet it is not quite the same ache as 2005, when it was definitely a result of so many prescriptions on the kidneys. Same location, but I’ve found by taking a longer step with my right leg, I can carry on—but if you try walking this way, it is most unnatural.
           So, I tried a walking stick. The relief was immediate, but the handle is uncomfortable, as I found it best to put a slight outward pressure as well as downward. Those fancy canes with the molded handles are for downward only or you get a blister. So while at the rack, I picked up a good old fashioned “candy” cane and it works fine. Of course, I’ll bring this up with my physician in October, but ever since Wallace had that hip replacement, I have no reservations if that is in order. Cured him completely, he was hiking around in a few days.

           Now Wallace had an aversion to canes. I have no such objection. A little research shows what I want is called a “crook handled cane”, commonly available and far cheaper than the fancy brands. Unlike an umbrella, I’m unlikely to forget it behind, but I’m immediately taking that ridiculous rubber tip off the end. I’ll think of something better to cap it with. Like a robotic mileage counter or a titanium spike.
           After all, this represents my first concession to physically getting old and if I don’t like the message of that rubber stopper, then you can’t make me like it. Who knows, maybe I’ll take to the cane immediately so if I do, I’ll make you a deal. Should I like the results, I’ll consider a fancy maple or cherry model. Who knows? If my workshop happens, I may make something myself. I did cure my own tendonitis with a home-made finger splint, remember?

ADDENDUM
           I’m immensely enjoying the book on Darwin, although there is little to distinguish him from any other pampered English schoolboys, then or now. The story is divided into thirteen “books” and I’ve finished Book One. My intention is to supply a mini book report as I move along. Book One covers the period when Darwin was finished with medical school, dropping out to become a clergyman. Darwin regularly travels with friends collecting fossils and studying plants.
           However, there is a two year wait for a church and he receives an offer to go on a voyage around South America, returning past India. His father objects unless Charles can find a reputable man to recommend the undertaking. Enter his uncle, who convinces everyone the trip is worthwhile.


Last Laugh

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
+++++++++++++++++++++++++