Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

September 27, 2017

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 27, 2016, the saildrone.
Five years ago today: September 27, 2012, 19 hours over the Pacific.
Nine years ago today: September 27, 2008, my eyes!
Random years ago today: September 27, 2007, always some non-standard problem.

           Nothing. That’s what happened today. The high point was a clever crossword clue, “finish the j”, to which the answer was “dot”. I made a pot of coffee, sat down to write some letters and promptly fell asleep until noon. Tell you what, here are some pictures that relate to today. In some cases they are old blog repeats, others are from my “not used” file.
           Here is my first Taurus, a 1995, I think it was. It was more expensive, but also nicer than the one I have now. I sold this car in running condition, but it did need a new head gasket. It overheated in Richards, Texas, in 2003.


Picture of the day.
Moraira, Spain.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           All I did was put new lumber on my lawn chair bench. Not knowing what I was doing helped a lot, because I followed directions and put four layers of stain and three layers of poly overcoat. Enough people said they liked the results that I took on the project shown in this photo. If you can see it, that’s an old park bench painted white. The wood is mostly rotted away.
           I replaced the pieces in the identical way as on my own, except this bench was twice as wide. Didn’t I already say how it looked to me sort of okay but once again, other’s just loved the results. Well, I was over to visit the owner the other day and he has it set up in a little corner of his yard. Now I get it. It really does look great, almost fantastic. I was looking at the bench, other people were seeing it in a setting.


           Over at Agt. R’s back yard, Hurricane Irma toppled his prized variegated lemon tree, the one he was going to clone for my yard. He and Pastor Bob used a come-along to pull it back into place. Agt. R has horticulture training and they are not hopeful since the tree was torn from the roots. Remind me to check on that later.

Quote of the Day:
“In the first place God made idiots.
That was just for practice.
Then he made school boards.”
~ Mark Twain.

           And this, a picture of the tree stumps I left in the yard last year. These were left nine feet high instead of sliced to ground level precisely for what you see here. They serve as habitats for many creatures I’d rather not have in my attic. The vines give it a rustic appearance and I save the cost of removing the stump.
           The wisdom of felling that 62 foot dead camphor tree in the back yard is now apparent. It would almost definitely have come down directly on my roof. Situated to the northeast on my property, it would have taken the full brunt of [hurricane] Irma. That tree was "yuge". The 400 pound logs are still in the back yard.

           These stumps will rot away in no time in the sub-tropical Florida climate. If I had the equipment, I’d do a time-lapse clip for you. Stump removal can run as high as $300. There was no pressing need to get rid of these particular remnants and I had wanted to attract the woodpeckers back. They never did.
           The picture shows the tree that was dead longer. It would have fallen across the street, a chance I decided not to take. The wood here is sponge-like and well-rotted, whereas the big tree in the back was still solid lumber. Right now it serves as a standard for my electric cable running to the sheds.

           In music, I took note of a newer generation of songs that came out since 2000, noting which ones the 40-year-olds would sing along to. I recognized the tunes, but not the songs. And I did not at all know the lyrics. I stopped for a brew in the SE end and paid close attention to what got the crowd fired up. What caught my attention was a group of six women at one table. Very noisy, very boisterous. My guess is they were housewives out on a toot and this was not a situation where they were simply familiar with tunes their teenage children listened to.
           Since every prowling man in the place was hitting on them, I never got a chance to ask the names of the songs. But I recognized the bar maid, she used to work in Winter Haven, so she’ll know. She was singing along with them. Well, let’s use the term “singing” rather loosely. My point is, these broads were not my type, but you bet your dollar that I was concentrating on exactly what was keeping these gals fired up. My entire show is geared toward getting the women going. I’ve never had any other stage philosophy.


Last Laugh

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++