Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, December 3, 2017

December 3, 2017

Yesteryear
One year ago today: December 3, 2016, puttering around.
Five years ago today: December 3, 2012, Peachtree, what a joke.
Nine years ago today: December 3, 2008, cheap, early digital photo.
Random years ago today: December 3, 2013, 200 warheads, rumored.

           Cancel Sunday brunch at the hotel. This morning Agt. R came over to help slide a number of the new sister joists under the building. Here’s a picture to help understand what is going on. Normally, a porch deck would hang from the front of the building on a plank called a ledger board. However, in this case, it was the spots where that ledger would be attached that were in the worst shape. Replacing the lumber would be a daunting task, but the joists just inside the walls were in good condition. You can’t see them from here, but these new joists run parallel to them under the house.
           There are four new joists visible in this photo. They slide under the structure and overlap those old joists. That’s where all the bolts will go, in a pattern similar to what you saw on the scale model. You can also see the concrete blocks being positioned. The only joist that is level and where it should be is the one with the red level resting against it. All others will be aligned with this piece.

           Thus, the porch deck will not only support itself, but shore up the entire bad section. Thank you, thank you, why yes, that is a rather brilliant solution now that you mention it. I have my moments. There is still a ton of dirt and materials to be moved and I don’t mind telling you this tiny bit of work, even though I stopped us for regular tea breaks, was too much for me. This picture also shows some of the string lines and the crooked siding pieces. They are just tacked on until the porch deck is fastened.
           The boards in this picture jut out eight feet from the wall. This is a considerable addition to the floor space. I’ve had second and third thoughts about this, but anything smaller doesn’t really make sense. Today’s work was largely proof of concept and everyone is generally agreed this is the right approach. I just wish the hardware was not so expensive. The galvanized bolts to cinch the joists together are nearly $2.00 for each set. That’s the bolt, two washers, and the nut. I’ll be needing around 166 of these. I’m too reluctant to trust adhesive for the job.

           Next on the V was that hot water leak. You were right thinking the old line was not repairable. We went at it with the proper wrenches but each repair simply sprung another leak down the line. So while the floor is uncovered, Agt. R got under there and spliced in a new section of CPVC, shown here with the metal to plastic union being tightened. This is also temporary, since the new hot water tank means I’ll run new 3/4” supply lines.
           That’s the morning shot. My participation was mainly advisory and I’m pooped. Siesta time. I stopped in for Karaoke last evening and met a gal. We instantly took to each other. She sings and says she can play guitar. We’ll be getting together in a day or two to see how we sound together. As for compatibility, we were all over other within the first few minutes. She was wearing a $400 dress. Nice or what.

           [Author’s note: I left her a message to phone back to make sure we are still on the same musical frequency. I don’t want or need somebody who is great on guitar. I believe you would personally be very surprised by how many people calling themselves guitar players who cannot strum all the way through a song. What I’m looking for is basic strums and stage personality. The world is full of expert musicians who can’t make it past these first two hurdles.
           Question. What is the second most common defect I’ve found in guitarists? That’s easy. Two-thirds of them are musically incapable of adjusting what they play to fit a variety of different bands or venues. This includes the ones who play strictly a guitar part when they ought to be playing accompaniment. Are you listening Mike? Zack? Hippie? Bradford?
           These are individuals who do understand that if we had a trio of lead, rhythm, and bass and one person had to go, it would be that lead player. Their egos would be crushed and they act like it.]


For those anxiously awaiting news on my phentermine (Adipex) treatment. While I say it has no side effects, I’m referring to the ones listed. Hallucinations, fainting, blurred vision, I have none of that. But there is a break-in period, two or three days where you adjust to having no appetite so you don’t eat much. In turn, this can cause weakness or listlessness that you would normally spot because you are hungry. Except, this time, you are not hungry, so you get through most of the day before it hits you.
           However, you can trick your system right back by eating a small salad or something. It enables your “I’m full” mode. So will a bottle of diet Bubba cola or two cups of artificially sweetened tea. Yes, I’ve failed at diets before but I’ve also been a witness to countless other failed diets. I worked for fourteen years in a corporate department of 293 women. I know the tricky part is to quit thinking about food. But this is where my hobbies and lifestyle kick in.
           People without challenging interests, I’ve noticed, tend to be the type who get into recreational drugs, gambling, afternoon drinking, and the like. What else do they have to think about? How’s that for pure scientific reasoning? Man, I’m good.

Picture of the day.
Mushrooms. I think.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Helping my buddy with his document filing, I’ve discovered a lot about the nuances of the mortgage industry. And I mean stuff that isn’t commonly known. A new term has entered my vocabulary. “Dual-tracking”. Sounds like a tape deck, but it is a serious enough problem that it has been outlawed in a few states and restricted in most others. This is the situation where a mortgage goes into default and the lender enters into negotiations with the borrower. Negotiating takes several forms, such as short sales and mediation. But what the lender cannot do is conduct these negotiations to stall the borrower and then swoop in with a foreclosure.
           Gee, doesn’t that have a familiar ring? Just last month, I filed a Motion to Dismiss over that exact situation. I just didn’t know what it was called. But I knew it was wrong and filed that document just 80 hours before the deadline. Ha! Caught the sumbitches. You should see the paperwork that has flooded in, and if I know anything, those letters were not written by any flunky first year law clerk. I suspect the other party presumed the Motion was written by an attorney, but that’s wrong. I wrote the thing myself last month right here at this little old blog computer.

           That’s inexperience for you. I didn’t realize how right I was. I logged a complete year of USF (unsigned form letter) incidents concerning the borrower’s application for mediation. You can go back and read this from last summer, but that’s the situation where they kept sending these USF’s saying the application was incomplete. So I filled out a copy myself and mailed it to their head office. Getting the same reply, I sent another a letter stating enough was enough, unless they hand over a detailed description of what was missing, the application would be held to be complete. Nothing.
           This tipped me off that they were trying to pull a shortcut foreclosure. This is where they barrage you with letters until you miss a deadline or something and they win by default. My buddy was a candidate for this because he was overwhelmed by this from the start. So, I think this is something to keep an eye on. I’m recording my thoughts to have a firm record of the starting point. Here’s what I think.

                      1) this is a clear case of dual-tracking.
                      2) he should ask for a waiver of all foreclosure fees
                      3) find a pro bono lawyer for a “produce the note” defense

           That one about the fees is a bit tricky, but the reasoning goes like this. Why should he pay for any fees incurred during any period when the other party was conducting an activity that was either illegal or restricted? That could very well be a new mortgage loophole. You love this blog and this blog loves you.

ADDENDUM
           That does it, I’m returning to the spine clinic about my shoulder. I didn’t tell you how it is slightly dislocated and it is my bass shoulder. (Gee, that’s not telling us much.) I’m not likely to take chances with my music. This is also prompting me to insure my arms and wrists, apparently this does not cost all that much. Ask me about that after Xmas. My point here is approaching three months after the incident, my shoulder still pops around the socket, you know, that click sound. But it’s real because other’s can hear it, like “What was that?”
           Something is off and I like the spine clinic because they seem to know an awful lot about shoulder bones. They are super-super-super careful about neck injuries, maybe that’s the explanation. The only other health issue is diet. I see now nuts, especially walnuts, are now back in favor. Good, I like all nutmeats and my philosophy is that it is not food, but overindulgence, that does people in.
           That’s a broader concept [for me] than I let on. For instance, while I am 1,000% opioid-free, I am quite tolerant of those who toke and tipple in moderation. But one step over the line and it’s good-bye Charlie. I’m no angel, I didn’t say I was. I know my average of around twelve beers per week rates me as an alcoholic, yet nobody can remember the last time I was drunk. (I think it was 1996.) The wise reader minds that difference.


Last Laugh

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++