Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

January 2, 2018

Yesteryear
One year ago today: 2, 2017, my precious workshed.
Five years ago today: January 2, 2013, ATMs change code.
Nine years ago today: January 2, 2009, the Mustang Sally dink.
Random years ago today: January 2, 1977, back beyond memory.

           Yep, another cold spell and my place isn’t ready. Didn’t I swear that wasn’t going to happen two years in a row. Serves me right. I could work in the cold, but plain don’t feel like it. Furthermore, Xmas threw my schedule and it’s rare, but I missed an appointment by two hours this morning. I’m off balance, my email has been compromised, I lost some important phone numbers in the fire, and feel like I’m forgetting something else. Only one thing to do. I sat down and wrote some overdue letters, drank tea, and watched the Bourne Identity videos.
           That taught me I might have been wrong about how many people seem to know actors and producers. Now that I’m sometimes watching movies a second time, I’m thinking. It took me most of lifetime to watch even a few movies twice. Yet I know other people watch the same movie many times. So how do I know maybe they just watched the same movie so often that they learned it all by rote. I once met a guy who’d seen the Phantom of the Opera, I think he said seventeen times. I’ve never seen it once, as in all the way through. I get so far, then go for a beer.

           Diet, always a blog topic to be regarded with disregard. Don’t laugh at that apparent contradiction until you count the number of diet selfies on Facebook and scroll through Imgur. It’s an insane, out of control American obsession. The focus is on appearances, not health issues. They never tell you details of their method. Before I forget, I have not yet followed up on that technique that freezes fat cells, but they are making some lofty claims. As for my diet, it’s proceeding smoothly. My primary change has been food. That comes down to getting rid of most things and replacing them with fruit and vegetables. A week back, I found a source of freeze-dried fruit and looked into that. This photo is a representative label.
           That’s what I want to chat about. For years running now, I read every label and these are moving from the hidden edges of the product to sizes like you see here. And with considerably more information. At first I admired the concept as finally offering decent tasting snacks. The label reveals something different. I now suspect this food is a ploy to take advantage of people who have food allergies, without explicitly saying so. Even the process, freeze-drying, is pushed because it doesn’t require added oils or artificial ingredients.

           Consider this label. Except for minor fiber and carbs, the product is devoid of any nutritional value. No vitamins, no sugar. It is just 40 calories of fluffy crisp strawberries, the only ingredient. But the label goes on to specify no peanuts, tree nuts, gluten, soy, or dairy products. Then states non-GMO and that it is a vegan product. The package claims equivalency to 1-1/2 cups of fresh fruit. That’s nearly the two cups recommended daily by most sources. Except it contains 0% of the nutritional value. It does not even have any vitamin C. Equivalent, my eye.
           People who are eating this substance must either not read the label or be more concerned with appearances than with their health. I think once I reach my weight goals, I’ll go carefully on this food-like product. On the same display, I saw freeze-dried peaches, apples, cranberries, and bananas. All in similar-sized packs, they varied widely in price and calories. Worst was the pineapple, with nearly 200 calories per serving. To bad, I happen to like pineapple.

Picture of the day.
Fort Alexander
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Time to upgrade my capos. Because I rarely use them on the bass, I got the cheapo ones with the elastic. I got used to test each string to make sure it was sweet before continuing. I have used a capo on the bass, but mainly to change the key of tunes that require open strings. No doubt I mentioned the new lady has excellent gear, basically the best of everything. (Yes, I shared my warning about using fancy or sentimental equipment.)
           She has thing clamp-on model that works first time. I’ve seen them but to me one was as good as another. If I didn’t say, I will also use a capo to make certain guitar tunes sound better, it’s got to do with which strings ring better when open. If you can capo a given song to where you can play a G chord, do it or at least give it a try. That’s how I play most everything in A on guitar. On bass I can play anything anywhere.
           Here’s a photo of a needlessly complicated $30 model with individually adjustable settings. Users report it is a nightmare.

           When it’s cold outside, I do more reading. That image you get with the guy in a over-stuffed chair with hot cocoa and a book? That’s me. Except I haven’t replace my armchair yet. I’m out of reading material, me, the same guy who drove an hour to the bookstore two weeks ago. So, I’m reading Dave Barry again, the guy who writes books with his name in the title. To make life easier on history students, he’s re-written modern history so that everything happens on October 8. I like it already.
           So, that store is only 22 miles from where we practice. Do you think I should do that tomorrow or commence work on the spare room? These and other intrigues to be announced. Right now, I’m going to find my red sweater, it’s chilly in here. I’m watching the video “Morgan Freeman” starring “Moll Flanders”. There are some who would say I have those two names backwards. Do I now?

ADDENDUM
           How’s the therapy on my bass arm? What a coincidence that question comes up the very day I got my evaluation on that. Long, slow, and with diminishing pain. I kept my own records and I’ve gone through the exercises 62 times. They carefully measured the angles I could manage and the most I can say for sure is I agree with their estimate of 65% to 80% improvement. There is no steady pain, I have to move something the wrong way now. And it doesn’t keep me awake at all, but I won’t sleep through rolling on that shoulder. In retrospect, lots of damage but nothing broken.
           This puts me at a crossroads. The pain is mostly gone, but not the conditions that caused it. Do I continue or conclude this is as much as can be cone? The exercises are not enough to return any strength and even mild exertion leaves a deep-seated fatigued feeling around the entire shoulder, neck, and upper arm. What it mistake it would be to stop too soon, but each successive session gives diminishing results. Mind you, my progress was, they say, very consistent. I kind of knew that by the way they could predict where I would begin feeling new aches each time around. That’s all.


Last Laugh

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++