Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, March 22, 2018

March 22, 2018

Yesteryear
One year ago today: March 22, 2017, only crazy people don't like . . .
Five years ago today: March 22, 2013, early comments on 3D printing.
Nine years ago today: March 22, 2009, nine or ten songs.
Random years ago today: March 22, 2008, on car batteries.

           Well, I’ve decided to take away a few of the features that made this blog so addictive in the past, like my weekday gifs. I could go in there and change the template settings, but the party that owns the template can obviously change it with callous disregard for others, why bother? I’m still surprised no group of sharpies has come along and invented a blog system that actually works well. Most blogs still use the same features they came out with on their first day. No improvement, you cannot even alter the way the dates appear newest to oldest.
           Here’s an excellent picture of the Faraday cage system under construction. There’s more to it than you see here, but that is for you to figure out on your own. Progress is slow, but daily and some day soon I’ll move back into that room. The drywall on what’s shown here will probably happen within the week, no promises.

           The scooter needed a new master brake cylinder and the front disks were seized. Add another $40 for a new back tire and the bill on this one comes to $320. More than the scooter is worth. I was afraid of that, but technically it will pay for itself in saved gasoline in three months. I will go over the budget to adjust for the car now being a permanent expense and to generally update the allocations to match the realities better. For instance, now that I have the tablet, I am back to spending $100 per month on coffee. And they are building a Starbucks out on the highway east of here, almost walking distance.
           The work in the front bedroom means I’m seeing a lot more of the cardinal family. The youngsters are gone, but the old couple loves the feeder-mister-birdbath combination. No birds at all seem to much like the back yard. Yes, the front bedroom faces the street. I told you, this house is sideways on the lot, but I don’t mind. When the porch is done, if ever, that will be where you sit if you really want to watch the street. I rarely do.

           Everybody is telling me to buy that hot dog cart. I can be very conservative when that happens. I agree, it would be nice to have that as a backup plan, but it would just distract me at this point in time. It also shows that nobody around here seems to have any money. This has struck me before, even the established people in town don’t seem to have any spot cash. I mean, don’t local businesses know if you let old people run a tab, eventually you are going to get stuck? I contacted another party over the hot dog idea and she thinks it is fine, that it fits with my philosophy that I like to get paid to go places. She says, if I’ll go out to the clubs on a Friday only if I’m on stage, then I’ll get to more county fairs if I have a hot dog stand.
[photo delayed]
           Am I the only one who thinks it is hard work? Cleaning the trays, filling the propane bottles, making supply runs, and all the routine maintenance? I can’t speak up because whoever I tell would just ask for a job. I still get a few people every month come to the door looking. But what do they know about Faraday cages. I’ve tried hiring before and you spend more time training and supervising that they will ever be worth. Yes, I’m aware the hot dog stand could be run like an assembly line, but would I do that? Another thing, a quick inventory of my local people shows none of them have ever worked a stand either. I also appear to be the only one who has an EIN number, so they’ve no experience in that area.

           As for the extra money, I prefer the music business. It’s cleaner and doesn’t require inventory. When I said last day my co-musician needs stage time, this is not as easy as all that. A hundred hours is 25 four hour gigs. True, this Sunday brings us ever closer to finding a gig that amounts to paid practice, which I am confident is going to happen. What’s more, I way better at gauging what a band is worth than hot dog sales. If this band goes, we will be in demand, believe me. And such demand would clash with the hours needed to run a concession.
           There is Agt. R, but he’s got too many irons in the fire already. It’s possible none of them pay enough that he can focus on something new like selling hot dogs. Maybeif he had one such situation where he was making good money, he would ditch the small stuff. But I can’t be sure, I’m not a mind reader.

Picture of the day.
Harder than Chinese arithmetic.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           I also feel doing anything new right now would stall my other plans. The guy has had the vending cart for sale over a year and nobody can come up with the money. A subsequent calculation shows that to have the $3,000 in startup capital, I would need $4,000. It’s an accounting thing. Sure, there is a chance if I say no, when the time comes I want it, somebody else will have bought it. That’s fine, I would just wait until they flop and buy it from them. No, seriously, I might have to compromise on this hot dog wagon. Maybe buy it now and store it, but it would be outdoors, never a good idea in Florida.
The photo got me because that is a USB connection.
           When I say we are not ready for the Sunday gig, I mean in more ways than just the music. For example, I had asked the guitarist a month ago whether she wanted to play through the PA system or use her own amp. She said her own amp so I never gave it another thought. When we rehearsed without the amp, I supposed she just didn’t want to lug it out of the back room. Imagine my thoughts last Wednesday when she hauled it out for the first time and did not even know which knobs to turn. This, folks, is why I learn my material well enough to play it solo. Sunday is a go unless we get the Russian EMP attack.

           You know, that’s one that got me thinking. EMP. If you study the causes at the molecular level, there is no reason all the lights should necessarily go out. This is from the reasons given in the available material. There is an equal chance all the lights would stay on and you could not turn them out. Before the critics start, I said this is from interpreting what I can find on the topic. Either every author makes the same error, or there is something they are not telling us about EMP. My vote is the latter.
           Another reason I need that front bedroom finished is to put my office in the corner. Right now when I need my big box of business card blanks, I can’t find them. They are not where I normally keep them and it’s to late to start tearing this back bedroom apart. Now I’ll have to buy some and the good ones aren’t cheap. On that happy note, I’m turning in early.

Last Laugh
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++