Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

July 24, 2018

Yesteryear
One year ago today: July 24, 2017, sure, I can solo.
Five years ago today: July 24, 2013, reads funny, an off day?
Nine years ago today: July 24, 2009, cooked furrows.
Random years ago today: July 24, 2016, she got Cosby-ized.

           If you need any more proof that cell phones are a tracking device, now you cannot get a state business license without one. It is a required field. It’s like what they’ve turned your driver’s license into over the years now computerized. If you mail it in, you will get the same treatment, except with more delay. But for now, they do not cross-reference the phone numbers. They are preparing for that day, when you cannot get anything without an active phone in your own name. So, if you ever have and extra $130, maybe register an LLC. Remember all money I made by opening bank accounts before the SSN was required. And I’m only mentioning that now because that avenue has been sealed off. I sold the last batch of account numbers in 1999, knowing full well something like 9/11 was on the way.
           You must not fast discharge the battery. Some sources recommend you put the battery back in your car and leave the headlights on until the voltage drops below 9.5, but that’s a lot of heavy lifting. So here is the answer, see photo. An old headlight and an old set of jumper cables, and a timer that beeps every ten minutes. Careful never to completely drain the battery. If it is still above 10 volts in an hour, the battery is as good as it can be restored and it will last probably another year. Just don’t rely on it for anything big.

           What’s this, 105°F in Arizona? We did about as well here with that famous humidity. I got some work done in these sauna-like conditions. Unlike Finland, there are no convenient snowbanks to roll in afterward. It’s the same every year, don’t plan on getting much done in this part of the world. I was reading an outdated copy of a boondocking magazine, that’s people who live permanently on the road. It said construction jobs were easy to find in Florida. Yeah, if you can find one, do you want it? Since farm laboring dried up, there are no real jobs you can travel around the country with any more. The economy and tax collection mechanism don’t really support that lifestyle. I know what some are thinking, but music isn’t a real job.
           There I am at the market and they have no dried fruit. So I find this package of sun dried tomatoes. Hey, I like tomatoes so this should be a great snack. Um, take my word, they are horrible. Says here imported from Turkey, so maybe they are an ingredient of something else. But finger-food they are not.

           Next stop is Ye Olde Pharmacy. Resisting everybody’s temptation to make hot whiskey drinks, I opted for other chemicals. Alka Seltzer Cold, it seems to keep me on an even keel. I picked up a package of menthol cough drops to dissolve in my tea. Then I went on-line to amalgamate what all the survivors have to say about hotdogs. Don’t write this technique off, I have a lot to say about the number of hotdog people who get this far. Meaning far enough to make a video of their experiences.

Picture of the day.
Caviar pancakes.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           The majority of hotdog carts don’t make it. How do I know? Let’s look at the grim statistics. There are, in the state of Florida, 4,200 intersections that experience daily traffic flow great enough to justify a hot dog cart. Never you mind how I know this. The total cart registrations since 2012 are 8,600. You might find differing criteria, but these are the figures I go by. By rights, there should be two hotdog carts at every major intersection. Instead it seems less than 300 of these carts are still in operation. What happened to all the others? They didn’t just evaporate.
           I have several connected theories. The most likely explanation is they did not make expenses on the first few occasions and gave up. I know if they got that far, they were out $ 5,000 at least, because nobody sets out to fail. That still leaves thousands of hotdog carts not operating, but not for sale either. I have another explanation. It’s called the “sunk cost syndrome”. That’s where you buy expensive concert tickets and the show is a dog. Instead of admitting you lost the money and walk out, you stick around to the end hoping things might pick up. This photo has nothing to do with hotdogs, it is here for balance. I time to time find these recalled items from that shipment I received that were ‘backwards”.
           Backwards? Yes, these lights were off-on instead of on-off. Remember how I wound up rewiring the original cPod? Same deal, and no way to quick-fix it. By the time the recall was issued, I’d completed the conversion. Work like this happening again is your indicator that I’ve got my small work space back. Things are still cramped around here until I get some bookshelves. Return to hotdogs.

           So I think those thousands of carts are sitting in people’s back yards. Or inside a shed. They don’t admit they flopped but hope that if they fire it up again, things will be different. Not so around here. The projections alone tell you our approach is different. I have projections ready for the year of 2019. Being completely licensed, I know we will often be competing with those who are not. But I don’t want to make enemies, not in such a small town. Earlier research reveals how most businesses in this area that suffer a major setback not only go bankrupt, but they never start up again. I’ve looked closely at that, and while I cannot guarantee success, I can bankroll continuity. In a sense, that could be the best way to eliminate the competition—think of how many times I’ve lost because some dumb rich kid had the resources to wait me out. You don’t have to tell anybody I said that.
           This startup process has taught me plenty. I wonder how many people dropped out by now. I’ve said before it costs a lot of money to obey the law, and that’s despite the fact that such laws are technically illegal. (The premise at work here is that while this type of taxation is allowed, it states that the tax must not in itself cause the business to have to change the way it normally operates.) So I don’t know, but I’ll take a peek on-line what is going on with these vast numbers of disappearing hotdog carts. And I see how the state is not only aware of these fizzles, it explains that law of why the cart has to be re-inspected if it is stored for over one year. They are waiting for the next recession to gouge these people all over again. For those who say that is not so, what we are considering here is net effect.
           And here’s another thing to watch out for. Fake invoices. This one is designed to look like it is a response from Tallahassee for business registration. It says you need “one more step” to complete the process. This amounts to sending these people $67.25 for a photocopy. When I say I would shut down businesses that use public records for private profit, I would start with these outfits. The state is 100% aware of this nonsense going on—the original certificate is free if you want it, but you will have to ask.

           I went downtown to buy supplies and stopped in at the old club. Some gal named Gail hit on me, the whole “chase me honey” routine that has never worked on me. Says she just got into town, staying at her parents old place all alone down the road. Generally all the things that would have worked if she was 21 again. I got suspicious when she said she wanted to hear me sing because she had never heard me sing. Everyone has heard me sing. Then it hit me. Ann Landers says women are supposed to play up to a man’s known strengths, so like a little boy, he can show off. Gail wants me to beat my chest.
I took out my notebook and started jotting, my signal to the room that there are no desirable women in the place. So much so that I’ve got the plans together all the way into the 2019 campaigning season. We need to move a minimum of 5,600 hotdogs that year to make me happy. This is easily within the capabilities of our system, so it remains a question of finding the correct locations. That should give you an excellent idea of what the women in the place were like. Pretty ho-hum it is when you can’t out-compete a hotdog, ladies.

ADDENDUM
           That was JZ on the line, the family leaves on a cruise this Saturday. Just a week this time. I’m not one for family cruises, though I’ve never been on one. But all the guys I know who’ve been there say don’t waste your money, there are no available single women. This jives with what Ray-B reports, now that he’s literally lived on cruise ships for what, five years now.
           The only women that would otherwise be available are after the captain or something. I knew there was a pecking order, but was not aware how drastic it was until I got feedback from people I know. Now I see the “dining at the Captain’s table” for what it is really worth. Sly devils.

           I was home early, so I ran some tests. A hotdog can be boiled from freezing in less than ten minutes, but I don’t have an exact time yet. So I tested from the fridge instead of the freezer. From the fridge, the interior of the dog is 46°F and that has to be brought to 145°F. You need sufficient boiling water to prevent the hotdogs from stopping the boil when added. When fed into the boiling water, the dogs reheat very quickly, mine reached 162°F within minutes. Then I practiced grilling the dogs, which does nothing but look good. Several videos gave ideas of what you could cook on the grill for aroma only. I tried, in various combinations, margarine, butter, garlic, onion, and a splash of coconut oil.
           All work perfectly well if you ask me. A good operator should be able to grill the dogs fast enough to keep things really moving. I saw several variations for kids, like spiral slicing the weiners and even this device that scored an ‘alligator’ pattern on the surface. Apparently the idea is to roughen up the surface so they hold the condiments better. All this and we don’t yet have a business license. They want all the other paperwork done first. So if they were to say no at the last moment, that would really screw people around. It’s not like they don’t know it.
           Last, I found a video of things to watch for. Things like staff cooking and selling their own dogs to homeless people eating all the condiments. We’ll probably get an education enough in the first while we are in operation.

Last Laugh
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Return Home
++++++++++++++++++++++++++